Chapter 38

Noelle had been trying to talk to Ansel all morning, but she couldn't find the right time to do it. She thought if maybe she could talk to Ansel about it, and tell her how much it bothered her. Then she would listen. She'd only heard bad things about her father, but she didn't have the heart to kill him. To have his blood on her conscience. Noelle cleared her throat.

"Ansel," she spoke formally,

"Yes, darling?"

"You can't kill Rolfe," Noelle said, sucking in a deep breath.

Ansel stiffened, "You do not have a say in this,"

"But...,"

"No, we talked about this already. And you don't get to make decisions about this."

Noelle looked down, burning with anger. How is this fair?

"Why can't you just forget it and move on?" Noelle yelled.

"Because that isn't something you can just forget," Ansel said, her voice low and dangerous.

"He took everything from me, my childhood, Theodosia... you," she murmured sadly.

Noelle stared into her mother's eyes. She saw the years of pain and heartbreak that he had caused her, the hell that she went through. All for what? Losing everything? Noelle breathed in, preparing to say something. But Ansel beat her to it.

"He will regret it."

Noelle shut her mouth, feeling the dangerous aura that Ansel was offering. Yes, you have lost everything. She thought,

except me.

+++++++++

Jack and Samuel readied themselves to ride. Shaye and Theodosia would leave on the dragon to get a head start. Shaye hoped it wouldn't put up a fight. Theodosia had been hesitant about the dragon. She said the last time she rode one, Turner was there but Shaye had no recollection of it. She didn't remember certain things. Shaye knew that Theodosia would help fill in the gaps but it was still hard. How had she forgotten someone she loved. She knew she loved someone but it pained her to not know much about him. Shaye pushed the thoughts aside as Theodosia made her way into their room.

"Are you ready?" Theodosia asked as she picked up her swords.

"Yeah, I am," Shaye answered.

"C-Can you tell me what he was like? Turner," Shaye asked not fully braced for the answer.

Theodosia looked like she wasn't going to say anything at first but she did. She took a deep breath before telling her about the man she loved but she didn't know.

"He was kind. He was always so calm even when the world was going insane. He was always patient and was always there. His eyes lit up the night at the ball when he saw you. Turner would have gone to hell and back to protect you. He never hesitated in loving you. He was kind to me but would have killed me if I ever hurt you."

"Why can't I remember him?" Shaye yelled not at Theodosia but more at the whole universe.

"I'm not sure but just know that he loved you and you loved him. Maybe we can figure out why you can't remember. I'll look until it is confirmed that your memories are gone."

"I-I'm sorry," Theodosia stuttered.

"Why? You have done nothing wrong."

"I'm the reason he is gone. He died by the pirates that went after me. He died giving his life. I should have been the one that was taken. I should be the one dead. It should have been me."

"It's not your fault. From what you've told me about him, I think he knew what he was risking. You did not kill him. Rolfe did."

"Tell me you know it's not your fault. Tell me that you weren't the reason for Turner's death," Shaye put her hands on Theodosia's shoulders.

"I can't," Theodosia's voice cracked.

Shaye wished she knew something better to say, something to make her friend believe. No words would have convinced Theodosia. Shaye could only hug her friend. Make sure Theodosia knew that even though Turner was gone, she wasn't. She would stay there, she wasn't leaving.

"W-We should get going before the sun goes down," Theodosia tried to wipe her tears and hide her pain.

Shaye grabbed her sword and they made their way outside. Shaye saw Jack and Samuel already on Meredith. Samuel was tied up, hopefully securely. They couldn't have any more distractions.

+++++++++

They had another person to watch. Another person he would have to watch. Samuel could easily win a fight if he was free. Thankfully, Jack tied him up well. He didn't fight it much. He was quiet, anger burned in his eyes. A quiet flame burned in him. He didn't show any signs of aggression as Jack untied him to go. They waited there in silence. The brutally painful silence.

After maybe 15 minutes, Shaye and Theodosia finally made their way out.

"You better lead us to the right place," Shaye swung onto the horse behind Theodosia, making a look at Samuel.

"I wouldn't dare," Samuel said towards Shaye.

Jack felt more safe knowing he could do something with a sword if necessary. He hated to admit it but Theodosia would likely end Samuel if he couldn't. He wouldn't dare ever say that to anyone.

The night was calm and peaceful. The girls made small talk, not loud enough to hear. Jack didn't care much about whatever they were talking about. It wasn't like they were talking about him or anything anyway. Samuel was quiet except a mumble of directions every once in and while. They took their time riding.

"It's right through these buildings coming up," Samuel directed.

"We can't go through there," Theodosia added.

He forgot that these buildings were so familiar to him. It was a while since he had been here. He remembered the exact moment when he left. He was seeking out revenge on the killer of his brother. He had not gotten justice yet but Jack hoped the time would come. Where he could make Ansel know what Kai went through. She would know the pain of losing your life.

"We can make it in," Shaye assured Theodosia.

"Are you not up to the challenge," Shaye remarked.

Theodosia didn't wait before getting off the horse. Shaye soon after. Jack untied Samuel. He knew it was risky but someone needed to ride Killian and Meredith. The girls moments later fade into the dark. It pained him to see them leave. No what-ifs he reminded himself.

"Can I go see someone?" Samuel mumbled.

"What?" Jack got his sword ready if he tried running.

"It's my sister, I haven't seen her in years. She only lives two houses away."

"Be quick," Jack responded.

Samuel got off his horse and waited as Jack tied them to the nearest post. No one would steal their horses. It was around midnight and the whole town was asleep.

Jack followed near after Samuel ready to strike if needed. It really was two houses away. They stopped before a two-story home made out of Sandstone. Samuel pounded on the door.

"Come out, it's me," He yelled as he banged his fists on the door.

Nothing happened. No sounds or lights of any sort. Samuel turned away ready to give up when the door opened.

"What do you want?" A young woman asked.