Chapter 29

"We need to leave now?" Ansel warned Noelle.

The sun would be up in a few hours. Ansel suggested they left before the town woke up.

"Why now?"

"The longer you stay here, the more Theodosia is twisting that mind of yours."

Ansel held Noelle's hand. They made their way outside to where the horses were. Noelle got on her horse first and stroked its long beautiful mane. Ansel didn't get on. Strange. She just stood there looking around.

"What are you standing there for?'

"They can get around with one horse," Ansel decided as she got onto the black horse.

"You can't do that," Noelle tried explaining to her mom.

"All they have done to you recently is hurt you. They keep trying to pull us apart. You don't deserve that so they can live without a horse," Ansel added before pulling on the reins, letting the black horse start moving. Killian snorted.

"Stay still you stupid donkey."

The thing lifted up his upper body throwing Ansel to the ground.

Noelle got off Schuyler and got on Killian. Ansel got on Schuyler instead. The horse looked uncomfortable but didn't kick her off this time.

Noelle looked out at the endless sand. This would be a long journey. Noelle hoped to learn more about her mom on the way. This trip would be the perfect way to bond. She so desperately wanted answers but took it slow. They had the rest of their lives to get to know each other. Mother and daughter. Noelle started to get used to those two words. She had finally found her family.

"Mother," she murmured under her breath with a smile.

"What was that?" Ansel questioned.

"Oh nothing," Noelle replied with a smile as she gazed into the sandy distance.

Mother.

"Where are we going?" Noelle asked.

"Wherever you want my love."

Noelle thought about all the places she'd dreamed to go to. All the fantasies ran through her head when she finally found her mom.

++++++++

Theodosia shifted through the mountains of books and scrolls in the dresser of one of the rooms. There had to be something in there to wake up Shaye. Shaye was all she had left, her first and now only friend. She couldn't... No, she wouldn't give up on her now. She would never stop until Shaye was awake. Even if it killed her. Theodosia hadn't spoken to Jack since Noelle left. And he hasn't spoken to her. I don't care about him. She repeated in her mind. I don't. She flipped through one of the dusty books hidden at the bottoms of the drawers, scanning each page for answers. Clues, clues. Her eyes were frozen shut. And her skin radiated broiling heat.

It must be a fae thing.

Theodosia thought back to the hazy look in her eyes. She looked petrified almost. The blood-chilling screams.

Maybe she was having a nightmare? But that wouldn't explain the not waking up. Theodosia slammed the book in frustration. Rattling the various objects in the room.

"Are you okay?" She heard Jack say from the door.

I don't care about him.

"I'm fine." She responded, trying her best to mask the emotion in her voice.

She heard his footsteps get closer until he was right next to her. She avoided his gaze.

I don't care about him.

"I haven't had any luck trying to wake up Shaye." She mumbled half-heartedly. Her heart pounded.

"Hey don't worry about it."

Theodosia looked up at Jack. He was smiling through his unsettlingly deep brown eyes. There was no anger in his voice, despite their fight. The fight that she caused.

"There is nothing here," Theodosia grumbled, fumbling around the room.

"Is there anywhere else we can look? Maybe another place that would know what to do?"

"There is this one place that might work. But it would be too far to bring Shaye to."

Theodosia thought for a second, trying to think of a way to make it work.

"Can you take my horse and go to Ardarlan?" Theodosia asked.

"There is this woman there that can help Shaye. Her name is Jazmine Smith. Her husband is Daniel Smith. If you ask around, you should find him easily. There is a tower of healers they have been building. Tell the husband that Theodosia sent you and that Shaye needs a healer. Do anything to get her here.," Theodosia continued.

"And you are sure that she can heal Shaye?"

"I grew up hearing tales about her. If anyone could do it, it would be her," Theodosia assured him.

"I'll leave tomorrow morning."

This would work Theodosia assured herself. Jack would take a while to bring her here but it would be worth it. Theodosia couldn't stand not having Shaye around. She missed her grin. She missed them fighting together. She missed having a friend.

Theodosia hoped Jack would be ok. It would be a pain to bury another body. And Jack wasn't too bad himself.

The moment she hit the pillow, Theodosia was asleep. She didn't dream of anything. She hadn't dreamed for a long time. It's not like dreams meant anything anyway.

"Hey, I'm ready to go."

Jack stood next to her mattress. His hand still rested on her shoulder from when he shook her awake. Theodosia looked at him before shoving his hand off of her.

"It's too early,"

He walked out of the room and she could hear the outside door open. Theodosia sat up on her mattress trying to wake herself up. She grabbed one of her sharpest swords and headed out the door.

She looked for Killian. Jack better take good care of him when he left. Only Shaye's horse stood around the back. Oh, she was going to kill Ansel. She must have been asking for it when she stole Theodosia's horse. Theodosia was going to kill her. She was furious but paused her thoughts when she saw Jack.

"You might want this," Theodosia threw the sword at him.

"Let's hope I don't have to use it," he responded as he caught the sword.

"Did you work on your form and technique?"

"No, I've been too busy taking care of you," Jack smiled.

"You can teach me when I'm back," he added.

"But what if you d-," Theodosia tried to speak.

Jack looked at her. He laughed before leaning towards her and kissed her.

"I told you. No what-ifs"

He got on Shaye's horse. Theodosia was going to correct him. Tell him that Ansel had taken her horse. She was going to, but all she could think about was the kiss. 

Sea Of Seagulls: A Pirate and Fae Taleजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें