Chapter 48

Chapter 48

S T E F A N

My mind went blank and it felt like everything just turned into a blur. It felt like time stood still when I heard those words.

I did not make a mistake when I decided to put my trust in you.

No. That's not true. I did not tell you what happened to your parents. I broke our promise to not keep any secrets. What will happen if I tell Oliver that it was not Elena but rather Pietro who killed Izen and Mara? Will he hate me because I did not tell him the truth? My mind was reeling from so many thoughts that I did not realize that I gave the impression that something was wrong between us. That was not my intention, but his mind closed off.

I know what he's thinking, and my God, I will not even think of breaking up with him. Just a few days without him is hell, how much more if we separated? I will not let that happen. I have to make him understand this fact but my mouth just keeps on spouting words of apologies that made everything worse.

My chest constricted when Oliver started to cry and struggle against my hold. No, I can't let him go without settling this issue. I don't want us to fight. Don Felipe can use this against me and imprison Oliver with him. Imprison is a strong word, but knowing the Don, he will do anything to keep Oliver here in Spain.

I took a deep breath and cupped his tear-stained face. "Baby, it's not what you think, okay?" Oliver shook his head and bit his lip, as he tried to remove my hands from his cheeks. He was not even looking at me and a piercing pain lanced through me.

"No. Look at me, Oliver. Look at me!" He was startled when I raised my voice while I cursed myself for my short temper, but I don't like it. I don't like it when he looks away from me. I feel like he will go off on his own if I don't see my reflection in his eyes. I am scared that once he takes his eyes off of me, he will forget that I existed.

So many waves of emotions came crashing into my system, that tears started to fall. Despite my blurry eyes and trembling hands, I saw how Oliver widened his eyes in panic. He wiped my tears with a flustered expression, unsure of what to do.

"P-Please don't hate me. Don't hate me, Ollie. Please," I begged desperately and burrowed my face on his neck, as shallow sobs poured out. He gasped softly and rested his hand on my nape shakily.

"Stef..." His left hand massaged my nape while the other one rubbed my back. "Daddy... why would I hate you? Are y-you breaking up with me? I-is that it?" His voice cracked and his embrace tightened.

I creased my forehead and pulled away from him. "That's the most absurd idea I have ever heard! Why would I break up with you? I still haven't proposed to you properly. I still have to return your ring. Why are you saying that, Oliver? Do you want to break up with me? Well, damn it! I won't hand you over to anyone! I won't let you go! I will make sure that my last name will be connected to yours, you hear me? You are mine, Oliver Pines!" I exploded with heavy pants, while Oliver gaped, his tears seemed to stop falling, as he stared at me incredulously. I rubbed my tears away, feeling a bit light from my outburst.

"What? Got anything to say?" I challenged him, but my baby's eyes sparkled in amusement, as he bit his lip to stifle his laugh. "What the—are you making fun of me, Oliver Pines? After my confession, this is all I get?" I exclaimed in disbelief and he bursts into laughter.

His shoulders bounced and his cheeks flushed, as he held his stomach while wiping his tears. When he noticed my serious expression over my folded arms, he sat straight and cleared his throat. "I'm sorry," he whispered, and I arched my brow, not convinced.