Chapter 40

Chapter 40

1:20 am
The Penthouse,
Azure Paradise, LA

S T E F A N

"Come again? Pietro is your what?!" Elizabeth bit her lip and burst into tears. Fuck. Things are getting more complicated.

I exhaled sharply and stood up, then went straight to the kitchen. I think I have some tissue boxes kept here somewhere. After opening several cabinets, I pulled out a box of Kleenex and headed straight to the fridge.

I grabbed a pitcher of water and went back to the living room. I offered her some water and tissues, and she nodded.

"Thank you. You're very swe--" I raised my hand to stop her. "Nope. Don't go there. My baby's the only one who can call me that word."

She nodded and wiped her tears. I waited for her to calm down but my mind was running wild, trying to connect the dots from the little information she gave.

Pietro Cordovez is Alejandro Perez. Perez? Why is that name familiar? I reached for my laptop and sent a mail to Trevor. I know he can get me the information in an hour. I closed my laptop and stared at Elizabeth. She was finally able to regain her composure. "Tell me everything."

She seemed hesitant but nodded. By the time she finished, my expression was hard and my eyes were blank. When Elizabeth left, I pulled my hair and screamed when I got to the bathroom. I don't have to worry about Oliver hearing me because the bathroom is soundproofed.

Dammit! Did Ollie suffer because of that? Did he lose his parents because of petty revenge and crushed ego?

I sat on the floor and pulled my knees. I tried to even my breathing and clear my mind, but what Elizabeth shared earlier kept on replaying in my mind.

Alejandro Perez, also known as Pietro Cordovez, was Elizabeth's ex-fiance and childhood sweetheart.

"I didn't know that Pietro and Alejandro were the same. I should've listened to my guts when Roman introduced Pietro to me a year ago. I got a bad feeling." She chewed her lips nervously and clasped her hands.

"When did you find out that Pietro and Alejandro were one?"

"Two weeks ago, a death threat was sent to our villa. Roman was busy at the company so he wasn't able to see it. We were also preoccupied with our meeting with Olive." She picked up the glass and gulped the liquid. "The content was more on killing Roman and making sure that he will get his hands on me soon. The penmanship was familiar, so I hurriedly went to Roman's office and saw a hand-written note from Pietro. Then, everything clicked," she confessed in terror and nervously ran her fingers through her hair.

Dammit. "What's your relationship with Pietro before? Did your relationship end on a good note?"

She frowned and shook her head. "My father was very strict and conservative. He wants me to marry someone who will give me a good life, and Pietro was not like that. He's just a newspaper boy, but his honesty and kindness got to me. I fell," she reminisced with a small smile on her lips.

"When he asked me to be his girlfriend after meeting in secret a couple of times, I agreed. But he was a wolf in sheep's clothing. He became possessive and obsessive. He always talked ill about my parents, even my friends. He wanted to control my life. Then one day, we were at our secret meeting place in the woods a few miles from town when he started forcing himself on me. It was so scary. I could not move from shock but when I realized what was happening, I tried to fight him." I gritted my teeth and the memory that resurfaced on my mind was what Peterson did to my baby.