Chapter 37

Chapter 37

11:05 am
Private Library,
Stefan's Manor

S T E F A N

"What do you mean?" I asked with impatience and controlled anger, looking at Elizabeth and Roman back and forth. Elizabeth and Roman looked at each other worriedly, then glanced at my parents. Huh?

Mom and Dad stood up. "We'll look for Oliver. Be patient Stef. Hear their side of the story," Dad said with a hint of plea and I nodded, then heaved a deep sigh. I stood up and kissed mom's cheek then gave dad a one-arm hug. I let Trevor and Devon stay and listen. They are my guards after all. They cannot be left in the dark.

Elizabeth took a deep breath and Roman held her hand tight. She looked at me and smiled a little. "We were enjoying our time in Thailand when Mara called. That was a month before the accident. She informed me about Elena's illegal deeds. We were both disappointed. We gave her everything and tried our best to treat both of them equally."

"But it was not enough for her. She wanted us to throw away Mara, our biological daughter, because she feels like we were not giving her enough attention. She even went as far as to attempt to crash Izen and Mara's wedding, but the security was tight. I wonder where we went wrong," Roman added tiredly and sighed.

"I told you she's crazy," Devon whispered and Trevor agreed. I also agree with them. Elena has a screw loose. 

"The way you're telling the story, you're implying that Ollie's parents anticipated the accident. How did you even know about it? Ollie told me that his communication with you was blocked so he wasn't able to ask for help." This is confusing. When I called both of them to inform them what happened, they were surprised so I assumed that they did not know.

"You're right. Mara's warning was a premonition, and we also learned about the accident. We were so devastated," Roman murmured with a cracked voice and inhaled sharply, his eyes full of pain and regrets. Elizabeth rubbed his husband's back, and when he calmed down, continued the story.

Izen and Mara disclosed to Roman and Elizabeth everything; from a possible spy in the mansion who is allied with Elena to the corporate spies Elena placed on the other branches of the company. Oliver's hunch was right in the dot. It was the assistant butler. It turned out that he was in love with Elena and wanted so badly to please her. The old couple wanted to go home when they learned what was happening but Izen stopped them. It was not safe and Elena will notice that both of them are investigating Elena secretly. It was just a matter of time before everything was exposed.

Then the accident happened. Elizabeth and Roman needed so badly to return and support their grandchild, as well as mourn for Izen and Mara, but they felt someone was following them and tracking their movements. If they go home, Oliver could get hurt. The two pretended to be oblivious and 'enjoyed' their vacation, but deep inside, they were heartbroken.

A few days after the funeral, the feeling of someone tailing them vanished. "We were in Thailand when four men approached us. They introduced themselves as Olive's bodyguards." I furrowed my brows and stared at Elizabeth.

That's right. Oliver had bodyguards; he mentioned to me that he got bodyguards when his parents learned about the bullying. Fuck, I should go visit Peterson downstairs and give him a piece of my mind.

"They were also the ones who got rid of the people following us and told us that Oliver sent them. That he can't go abroad because Elena might get suspicious," Roman explained and I could help but feel rage. I clenched my fists until they turned white, feeling so confused about their story.