SENSATION OF THE SUNRISE

"Britain, are you almost done? I want you to see this!" I yell out to Harry as I sit on the floor, flicking through my records, trying to find one so that my flat wasn't completely silent.

I hate unnecessary silence.

It was almost seven and the sun was about to rise over the buildings and I wanted Harry to sit out on the fire escape with me to watch it. I did this a lot whenever I was awake, I would never let a sunrise or sunset go unwatched.

"Stop yelling, it's early." He whines as he walks through my hallway towards the living room and meets me at the record player, "What did you want me to see?"

"First, I need music, then I can show you." I say as my eyes were concentrated on the wooden box that holds all my records.

"Play this one." He bends over and picks up Hozier by Hozier and slips the vinyl carefully out, placing it on top of my vintage, dandelion-colored record player.

After he places the opaque orange vinyl on the little turntable, he reaches down to give me his hand to help me get to my feet. I slide the box next to the little table that holds the record player, then I grab his hand and jump to my feet.

I flick the record player on and carefully place the needle onto the spinning record.

Once Take Me to Church starts playing through the tiny speakers, I grab Harry's warm hand again and the blanket that we draped over the couch earlier, dragging him towards the window leading to the tiny balcony.

I open up the window and feel the slight chill of the air since the sun hasn't come out to warm it up yet. I'm the first to step out onto the fire escape, not letting go of Harry's hand so he's forced to follow.

He sends me a questioning look and all I can do is say a quick, "you'll see", as I shrug and plop down and hang my feet over the edge, starting to swing them back and forth. He follows my actions, since our hands are still bound together, and sits down next to me.

Neither of us bothered to shut the window because we both wanted to hear the record playing.

I look over to Harry and hold up the blanket that's become our traditional one to share, "Around the shoulders or on our laps?"

"Shoulders. Now will you tell me why we're out here?" He asks.

"To watch the sunrise. It's only right to accompany the lady of the sun in the morning since we talked to the man on the moon last night." I say as I throw the blanket around both of our shoulders. It's big enough to wrap around both of us and keep us snug.

Harry lets go of my hand, but only to drop it to my sweatpants covered thigh. "Never heard about the lady of the sun." He mumbles as he looks to his left to grab the blanket more securely.

"That's because I made her up." I say with a huge grin on my face, proud as ever about the way my mind creates those little nonsense stories. 

"Why'd you do that?" Harry's grin matches mine, almost like he's amused.

"Thought the man on the moon may have been a little lonely, so I created this immaculate love story between him and the lady of the sun."

Harry throws his head back and lets out a loud, genuine laugh as he looks up at the sky, "God, your mind is full of such twists and turns innit." He brings his head back down and smiles at me, "Tell me about this amazing love story then."

I raise my eyebrows at him and give him a little grin, "Just remember, you asked for this." He shakes his head and leans back to lay on the brick wall that the window was on, but his hand never left my thigh.