BAREFOOT WALKING

A MONTH LATER

Mitch and Sarah came back yesterday morning and tonight we're all gonna go out for Mitch's birthday. Since they were in Jamaica on his real birthday, he decided we would go out for drinks when they got back.

It was made very clear in the group chat to Milo and I that we had to be at 'Howard's Pub' by seven to meet the lovebirds.

I guess they put in a reservation from seven till closing like usual. Mitch made sure to double text us the time because he knew I would be late, it's what I'm known for.

I would show up late to my own funeral if it was possible.

I'm surprised Mitch wasn't jet lagged from the time difference, but he seemed amped up and ready to party when he came to pick up Kiggy earlier this morning.

That was the first time I was seeing him in the flesh in a month, and I didn't expect him to come back with all of his hair gone, but I knew I was right when I said he would die in the Jamaican heat.

When I opened my door he had basically tackled me to the ground from a fucking bear hug as he was vomiting out questions about everything that's happened in the past month.

Fun fact, Mitch was the first person to ever really hug me. I wasn't shown much affection when I was younger by anyone, especially my parents.

Damn, how much sadder could I make that sound?

After our dramatic reunion, he strolled over to my record player, checking to see if I brought up the record of the month yet.

He had chosen Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.

I've heard of the group before, but I've only listened to Stevie Nicks' solo music. She's a complete legend, I had to give her that since she's basically the blueprint for hippies everywhere.

I made sure to text Mitch while he was in Jamaica and tell him that I already picked a favorite song, which was Crystal, so I'm not really sure why he double-checked. Maybe to see if I snuck an extra one from the store, not going to lie that did cross my mind, but I would've traded him any art piece of his liking for it.

"God dammit," I mumbled as I was trying to zip up my dress, even though this dress wasn't my first choice to wear tonight. Sarah had texted me as soon as she got a new phone the day they came back to the states and basically ordered me to wear this dress tonight.

We bought it together when we went shopping a couple months ago and I've never worn it because it wasn't like I had to play dress-up everyday.

It was a tight black dress with long see-through mesh sleeves and I decided that I was also wearing red strappy heels with it because if I was going to try to be hot tonight, then I was going to go all out. I checked the time and nearly shit my non-existing pants.

It was 6:55 P.M..

I thought I had so much more time, I'm going to be so late. Mitch is gonna throw a fit.

I stumbled around my flat looking for my clutch and keys while holding my heels in my hands, as soon as I found everything I ran out of my flat barefoot, and out the back door of the record store making sure to lock it behind me.

I didn't need to drive to the pub because it was only a couple blocks away and I was going to need an uber home either way because the plan is to get shitfaced tonight in honor of Mitch's 29th birthday.

After about twenty minutes of pushing through people on the sidewalk I made it and rushed inside. I walked through the bar and instantly saw Sarah and Milo talking at a booth, but no Mitch.