31. Girls

Elza's POV

"I'm freezing, I'm freezing, I'm freezing," I listened Kate repeating in a dramatic singing voice. I laughed and threw a hot bottle for her and grabbed one for myself because I was freezing too. Or actually my hands were freezing. We had many hot bottles with us because Daniel and Blake were also shivering and probably Michael too but he was doing a good job pretending to be fine. Michael never complained about anything and that made the rest of us sometimes look and feel like drama queens.

"Gotta love your home country babe," Daniel kissed my cheek while he was bouncing up and down next to me. He looked like a Michelin man, with his way too big winter jacket and two beanies covering his head. "Ines, aren't you cold?" Daniel turned to look at Ines who was holding a hot cup of tea in her hands. 

"Nah, I'm alright but I really think they should call this race 'Winter Wonderland Grand Prix' instead of Eifel GP," Ines said and rolled the small paper cup between her hands.  

"It's not winter though," Michael said looking up from his laptop. 

"It sure does feel like one, I have no idea how am I able to drive," Daniel muttered. I hugged him, making some effort to try to warm him up. I was feeling utterly happy. Warm, happy, blessed, you name it. Except warm only as in metaphorically because really, I was freezing. Ines and Kate had come to Nürburgring to watch the race weekend with me and it was the first time we saw each other since March. We arrived Germany already on Monday so I could spend more time with them. The guys wanted to join us so we had been hanging around together in the pretty town of Nürburg ever since Monday and I was enjoying myself 100%. It brought me back all the great memories from Monaco, when we first met. Where this all began.  

"You'll just drive, block out the cold and focus on staying on the track," Blake patted Daniel's shoulder before sitting between Ines and Kate making my friends groan. The couch was way too small for three bums. 

"Qualifying will be interesting, I think it's kinda exciting that we had so little practice time," the Friday had been total disaster. Because of the fog, both free practices had been cancelled and the cars were allowed on the track for the first time this weekend only this morning. I was still convinced that Daniel would do great no matter what, he was experienced and knew what he was doing. 

"You'll do great, as always," I kissed his cheek and gave him supportive smile. Daniel pulled me closer giving me another kiss. 

"I'm going to change now and get ready. Girls, enjoy the show, Ines don't drink too much, we need you sharp and shiny tomorrow for the race day," Daniel winked at Ines earning a friendly finger from her and giggles from myself and Kate. Daniel was never going to let Ines forget her hungoverish presence a year ago in his apartment in Monaco. We all laughed when Ines shot Daniel her best death glare. "Love you all," Daniel happily shouted and waived when he made his way out of the Renault's motorhome lounge area back to his room. 

"Love you too!" Me and Michael yelled back at the same time. 

The season had gone well for Daniel, at least better than the previous one what I've heard. Regardless of the difficult situation with the pandemic all over the world, I felt like the people in the F1 bubble had become a one big family. It's not like I had any experience before this but Daniel had told me that he had never ever seen his ex boss Christian Horner and the team principal of Mercedes, Toto Wolff chat so much with each other than this season. I had traveled to every single race with Daniel and even though I sometimes felt like the annoying girlfriend who didn't have life of her own, I was really enjoying myself.  And I couldn't believe my luck how many new friends I had made during the past few months. Well, maybe not friends, but people who I felt comfortable talking with.