28. Thunderclouds

Elza's POV

Austrian summer was hot. It was actually just as hot as in Munich so I'm not really sure why I was wearing a leather jacket. It must have been also bit unclear for Renault's staff because I had only heard like ten times already the questions "Aren't you burning?" 

"It's so hot in here," Blake complained taking a sip of his water bottle. I rolled my eyes and happily sat down next to him with my glass of white wine. This new life of mine was going to make me alcoholic for sure. We were sitting in the empty paddock club with Blake. The qualifying was about to start in 15 minutes and I felt like getting out of the way from people who actually had some real work to do. Blake was kind enough to join me.

"There's AC here and don't you Aussies love warm weather?" 

"It's different hot in here," he said and put his mask back on. 

"Well this mask is making me uncomfortable for sure. I'm drinking my wine now so don't kill me," I looked around few times to make sure there really wasn't any people around and then removed my mask feeling like a criminal. 

"Did you bring that here all the way from Renault's motorhome?" Blake pointed at my wine glass.

"Yes I did. Can you see anyone working up here? Besides the Renault chef told me to enjoy some of their labeled wine so here I am. Enjoying it, cheers!" 

"Right, of course he did. I think you charmed everyone here yesterday, even some of the other drivers have been asking who you are." The Friday had been interesting for me. First I wasn't sure if I even wanted to enter the paddock with the guys but Daniel's face was so disappointed after I had carefully suggested that maybe I could stay at the hotel. After a short argument about me not being able to hide in the shadows forever I had arrived to the race track with the guys. And as if I hadn't been nervous enough stepping out of the car on the parking lot, the first person we spotted entering the paddock area was no other than the six time world champion. So I had met my all time favorite driver Lewis Hamilton on my first day at the race track. I think Lewis spotted me right away because before I had a chance to hide behind Daniel's back, Lewis had greeted me politely and he also asked me who I was. I tried to tell him "Daniel's friend" but that was probably a bad move from me because Daniel had literally shot me a 'are you being serious right now' -look before he told Lewis that I am his girlfriend. Also he gave me silent treatment for the next 15 minutes. 

"That's intimidating just like that whole episode with Lewis. I wanted to die right there," I groaned thinking back to that whole scene. 

"Well at least you got to meet your idol right away," Blake was smirking under his mask. Michael and Blake were just having too much fun with this whole myself - Daniel - Lewis thing. 

"I hardly think he's my idol but I think he's somewhat misunderstood person and behind all that success and surface is actually a decent human being," I explained trying to find the right words to describe the Brit. 

"I hear you... But I guess when you're the one who everyone else always tries to beat you always have a target on your back."

"I guess so. I just wish people wouldn't be so hard on him," I sighed.

"Your kindness is unreal, you know that?" I could see Blake's eyes softening. It's not like I was trying to get people change their opinions about Lewis, I mean I didn't even know him, he could be jackass for all I know, but it was the feeling I had about him. I had seen many interviews and read articles and I just always had this sad feeling when I thought of him. Kinda the classic story, the guy who had it all but still sometimes appeared to be anything but happy. And somehow now that I was living with the happiest face you could ever find from the paddock, I was seeing the contrast even more clearly. It was weird.