Chapter 43: No More Moves

Toni drove to the Pembrooke and dropped Veronica and I. Archie was waiting for Veronica outside of the building and when we got out went straight to Veronica without acknowledging me. The two began to talk about how Archie and his father are on bad terms at the moment, "It's seriously messed up, Ronnie. It's like me and my dad don't even know how to talk to each other anymore."

I made a tisking sound, "I can understand why he wouldn't want to talk to you." Archie only just glanced at me over his shoulder, not talking. 

"You'll work it out," Veronica shifted the ginger's attention back to her, "You always do. And God and Gucci willing, Cheryl's safe, wherever she is."

I cleared my throat as I walked right through the pair, "Sorry to ruin this moment, but I don't know about you two, but I'm tired so please do me a favor and get out of my-" I stopped talking as I opened the doors, shock washing over me. "Andre!" There right before me, was a man in a black hood beating up Andre with a hammer.  As soon as the man noticed that there were other people in the room, he dropped his hammer with a clatter.

Without thinking I ran after the man in the black hood. All I could see was red and I knew that I had to catch this man. "Hey! Andy," Archie called out behind me as he too was running after the man. "Andy! Archie! Don't," Ronnie screamed for us but we were already out through the back door. 

We ran through the back alley, I was gaining speed but still was too slow. Archie was able to run past me as I had to slow down as I turned in the direction the man was because my heels were too high to make the complete turn in full speed. Archie jumped the man just before he left the alley completely, "Adams?" 

I stopped running as I crouched down besides the man. Adams, a man that was supposed to be working with my father. So my father's empire is crumbling. "You double-crossing piece of-" Adams punched Archie square in the jaw before he finished.

I kicked Adams in the ribs before he could advance me and stepped on top of his throat with my heel, "What are you doin-." Suddenly, Adams had his hand around my ankle and pulled me down onto the ground, head slamming the cement. In a flash he was on top of me, choking me, "Tell your father to take the deal." He pushed harder down on my throat before getting off me and running down the street. 

Archie got off the ground and rushed over to me, "A-are you okay? Are you hurt?" He tried helping me up, but I refused and got myself off the ground.

"I'm fine," I said through gritted teeth as I stared down the direction Adams left. "We better go tell my father that he has rat."

- - - 

When we entered the room, my father and mother were already at the table in the dinning room with Veronica waiting for Archie and I. "What happened? Are you okay mija," my mother ran over to me as she slightly grazed over the back of my head.

I hissed in pain, "Yeah. Just hit my head that all." My mom guided me over to the dinning room and made me take a seat, while she stood behind it.

"So," my father started, "Adams has been turned... God knows how long he's been working against us."

My mother played with my hair as she tried to calm herself down, "Kowalski and Martin must have offered him a tidy sum."

"Or he sensed that we're weak, vulnerable," my father stared directly at me, "and he chose to align with our enemies."

I shook my head as I let out a sarcastic laugh, "This," I motioned between me and Archie, "wasn't because of me. It's because you work with criminals, and guess what? Criminals are always gonna back stab each other to make sure that their asses are safe and are on the winning side."

"Either way," my mother spoke to shut me up, "he's made a grave mistake."

My father took his seat, "Yeah. The message from Lenny and Carl is clear. Either cut us in or suffer the consequences. And with Adams a turncoat and Andre in the hospital, we are, essentially, unprotected."

The thought of being unprotected, especially right now, scares me. The Black Hood has already told me that I have to pay my dues and these strange text messages that I keep getting, everything is beginning to feel like they are crushing down on me. 

"I'll keep watch in the lobby," Archie responded, "I did it for my dad, I'll do it for you guys

"I'll keep watch in the lobby," Archie responded, "I did it for my dad, I'll do it for you guys."

"That's a selfless offer Archie. But, alas, a short-term solution to a long-term problem," my father told the boy.

"Yeah," I agreed, "Especially since were dealing with mobsters. You did it for your dad because one guy tried to kill him. But... the thing is, the mob won't just send one hit man. They'll send multiple to make sure the job is done."

Ronnie sighed, "So what do we do?"

"We circle the wagons," my father glanced at my sister, "Hermione, any of the campaigning you need to do, you do from here. Veronica, Andy, if you're not at school, you're here. I don't want you out and about."

I shook my head, "I'll be with Sweet Pea." My father opened his mouth to object, but I beat him to it, "He will keep me safe. The Serpents will keep me safe."

"She's right Hiram," my mother spoke softly, "They fight for their own. She'll be more than just safe there. At least with him in the trailer park, there's already protection there for her. More protection there than there is here for us."

"Fine," my father reluctantly agreed, "Archie you escort Veronica to and fro. Andy, you are to be with Sweet Pea or any other Serpent 24/7." I nodded as Archie agreed to my father's demands. 

"And long- term," my mother took a seat next to me, "What's the plan?" She slowly peered at my father. 

"Long term... long term... I have no idea." His words put the fear in each and everyone one of us. Hiram Lodge has never ran out of ideas, he's always three steps ahead of everyone. 

I took out my phone and immediately texted the one person that I knew can keep me safe.

me: Can I stay with you for a while? Something's happened at home.

SWEET PEA: Of course princess. Want me to pick you up now?

me: Yes please.