Chapter 21 - Ria. What? Nothing.

Start from the beginning

“What?” She stopped and turned around.

“Nothing.” I smiled. She smiled back and left for her cabin.

I went into my cabin and started on some work until the international affairs head came in for the meeting.

Jack was our International Affairs head. He was older than me but not by much, maybe just three to four years.

“Good morning, Sir.” He greeted me.

 “Oh god, Jack, how many times do I have to tell you guys not to call me Sir. It makes me sound old. Anyways, what was it that couldn’t wait till tomorrow and you had to talk to me about it today?”

“Well in that case, good morning, Rohan. So yeah, what was so important that I had to talk to you about it today was that there is a conference in Dubai for the world’s leading construction companies. And since we are one of them I’ve got an invitation from the holders for you to attend it.” I was shocked. Shocked at this is what he called important. This could have waited till tomorrow.

“This could have waited till tomorrow, you know?” I said.

“No. I couldn’t have. I need to send a confirmation by the end of today. So is that a yes from you?”

“Woah! Woah! Woah! Hold your horses, Jack! Explain this whole conference to me in detail.” I couldn’t just say yes to a conference like this. Especially not to one that was in Dubai! I mean, when would I be able to tell Ria how I feel and all?

“Ok, so the conference is held by some organization that is trying to protect sacred and other important lands. They’ve held this conference to talk about the importance of not building on land like these. You and a legal advisor are to go to the conference and literally just take information in from one ear and out from the other. Because if we follow what they want us to do our company is going to be finished! So practically think of this a vacation for you and the legal advisor.” Did he just say Legal advisor? That means Ria! So I get to go to Dubai with Ria? There was no way I was going to decline this offer!

“I’m in! Did you talk to the Legal Advisor, Ria?” I asked.

“Ria? She’s still a newbie, Rohan. You have to take a senior. Someone like George. I’ve talked to him about it and now I’m just waiting for a confirmation from him.”  Just then his phone rang and ironically it was George. Jack moved to the corner of the cabin to talk to him and all I could hear was Oh’s and Ah’s.

“It’s ok, we’ll do something.” And with that he ended the call and walked towards me. Just then Ria burst through the door not knowing who I was with.

“Oh sorry. I’ll come back in a couple minutes.” She said.

“No, no Ria stay I need your help.” Jack stopped her.

“Help?”

“Yeah. There is this conference in Dubai for leading construction companies of the world and Rohan and a legal advisor has to attend it. We asked George – your senior- if he wanted to attend it but he just called and said that he couldn’t. So now I’m asking you – since you are the only other one – if you would like to go.” Someone please go give that George a box of chocolates for declining the offer! Ria please say yes!

She looked my way and probably so my glowing-in-excitement face and said, “Yes. I’m in.” YES! I’m going to make this a trip she will never forget!

“Thank you so much Ria! That’s great! Now I’ll go and confirm that you two are going. Oh and I’ll send you the flight details and all by the end of today.” With that Jack left Ria and I to go and confirm our trip to Dubai.