The Joke's On You

Start from the beginning

Overtime, Meredith had learned how to live with Lexie, tried to be a family to her. Derek told her to be nice to her. — She did. Cristina brought her to her house one night because Lexie had no one — Meredith became that someone for her. In two years, she became a sister. Lexie gave her a feeling of being in a family, which she had never felt before.

So Meredith was not an overprotective big sister, but she's one now. She wanted to protect Lexie, and hearing about her staying at Eric's apartment, Meredith can't help but be overprotective.

Lexie stayed quiet the whole time Meredith was dragging her towards the emergency wing. She knew what was waiting for her once Meredith stopped.

"W-what about t-the trauma?"

"I need to talk to you."

Lexie stopped as she pointed towards the full and bustling ER, "I-I..." She chuckled nervously, "... think they need us there."

Meredith opened the door of an empty treatment room. She looked back at Lexie. With an arched brow, she gestured her head, pointing towards the room. Lexie stepped inside slowly as her sister watched her. Meredith followed Lexie and closed the door behind her as Lexie sat quietly at the gurney in the middle of the room, following Meredith with her sad, apologetic eyes as Meredith paced.

"Okay, what's going on?" Meredith stopped. She put her hands on her hips and glared at her sister.

"W-when I told you I was living with a friend..." Lexie chuckled as she stammered the next words, "W-well... It's - He's... he's that friend." She cowered.

Meredith looked away, mouthing incoherently, "You are friends with him? Really? When did that..."

Cristina looked through the glass door and saw Meredith. She opened the door and walked inside as Meredith continued to speak.

Meredith narrowed her eyes at Lexie as she realized, "Wait. Don't tell me you... you're sleeping with Eric?!"

Lexie opened her mouth to speak, but Cristina interrupted her before she could.

"Wait, you are sleeping with McDevil?!" Cristina stood beside Meredith.

Lexie tried to reason, stammering as she was being cut off by the two.

Cristina glanced at both Lexie and Meredith until she continued, "Well, that explains him simmering down."

Meredith squeezed the bridge of her nose and added, "Oh my God, Lexie."

Lexie uttered in a louder voice, "I am staying at his apartment. I am not having sex with him," She paused, "We're roommates."

"Staying at his apartm... So he's the roommate you are talking about the other day?" Cristina asked. Her hands now on her hips, copying Meredith. The two interrogated Lexie further.

Lexie looked back at Meredith and explained, "He's kind enough to let me stay at his apartment after..."

"After he learned you are squatting." Meredith finished Lexie's statement.

Cristina looked at Meredith, "What? What?"

Meredith turned, looking at Cristina as she responded to her, "Lexie stayed at Eric's after she broke up with Mark and he doesn't know about it — at the time."

"Wait, I though she was staying at your house. She slept with Alex, right?"

"Y-yeah, you're right. I'm sorry. Right after she had sex with Alex, she moved out of the house and stayed at Eric's."

"Well, I stayed at Burke's after he disappeared but..."

"That's different."

"Yeah, that's different."