A Rumor Going Around, Stirring Our Little Town

Morning
Eric's Apartment

Eric was sitting at the coffee table on his usual Monday morning, folded newspaper in one hand and his morning tea in the other. His breakfast was on the table. Sound of birds chirping resounded at the quiet apartment until Lexie came down the stairs.

Her steps echoed at the living and kitchen area as she went down the wooden stairs. Lexie hummed a cheery tone as she continued towards the kitchen. Then a yawn muffled her humming. She went on with her hum as she walked towards the cabinets. She grabbed a box of cereal, a bowl and a spoon; and stepped towards the coffee table.

"Good morning!" Lexie greeted.

"Morning." Eric grimaced a smile as he looked at her with narrowed eyes, one that Lexie was used to seeing now every morning.

It was something she picked up since her first day living with him. Along with his morning routine, — which included quiet reading at the coffee table, nestled at the very corner of the house. Lexie had been bombarding his solace with her cheerful good mornings whenever he's at home. And now that Lexie's back working at morning shifts, it would me more frequently.

Eric had constantly forgotten that she's living at the flat not until she skipped down the stairs, beamed a smile, sang a tune, danced along with a loud music or greeted aloud and happily. Sometimes, when he's lucky, he would get all of them. Eric had accepted that he won't ever have those quiet mornings anymore, not while she's around.

Lexie set down the bowl, the spoon, and the cereal box at the coffee table as she sat down. She then yawned, stretching her legs and her arms. Eric watched her as she answered the maze at the back of her cereal box. He curved a brow. Lexie yawned again before flipping away the maze side and started opening the box. Eric looked at the newspaper as he spoke.

"You look..." He glanced at her, "... well-rested."

"Well-rested? Oh, no. No." Lexie chuckled. The plastic rumpled as she opened the cereal. She sighed as she put the box down. Lexie continued, "I had a hard time falling asleep last night, didn't doze off till after midnight; so, no, I'm not..." Eric stiffed his laugh as he glanced at Lexie. She noticed him trying to suppress his laughter.

"Oh, you're..." Lexie rolled her eyes as she looked away. "Thanks," She expressed sarcastically and grabbed the box. "Thanks, that's just... great."

Eric snorted, flashing a small grin as he moved the newspaper down, watching Lexie pour the cereal in the bowl as she glared at him with an arched brow.

"Chocolate Crispies for breakfast?"

"Defeats your bowl of gooey ickiness over there." Lexie countered, looking at the milk beside him. She sighed as she spoke in a softer voice, "Uhm... Can you... pass the milk, please?"

Eric smirked before giving the milk to her. "I really don't know why you like that cereal." He paused. "Can that be considered candies, now?"

"Okay, just stop. You don't get to judge my cereal not until you tasted it." Lexie pushed her bowl towards Eric. Eric waved his hand no and grimaced.

"I don't need to taste it to know it's full of sugar. I can see it right here." Eric looked at the milk that has changed into light brownish colour.

"I'll have the bland oatmeal while you eat the choco pops."

"Choco. puffs?" Eric repeated in a mocking tone, "What?"

"Let me have that."

Lexie moved her bowl as she reached for Eric's.

"No." He stressed, moving his bowl away with one hand. Lexie leaned in further to reach for it as Eric moved it up.