#28: De Ja Vu

It's not like I was unhappy to see them. Really, I was quite happy. Perhaps, more likely surprised then happy. What child isn't happy to see the people who birthed them? Who am I kidding. I was extremely unhappy standing in the presence of the people who put my career on haitus because of a little bad publicity. On the bright side about coming here, I met Scarlet. It's probably the only positive thing I received from this trip. What made my Aunt think asking my parents to come here would make anything much better? They were only going to lecture me. Worst of all, if Aunt Lisa had told them about my some of my misfit behavior, then surely I'd spend another six months here. Six months off agony (except Scarlet). I needed to be back under the sun doing what I love. That is-- entertaining people.

                "Son," my dad is the first to stand up surprisingly. My mother usually would be the one to do all the chit chatting, and my dad would simply confirm everything that spat.

                Scarlet grabs my hand again feeling my tension. I couldn't believe that they were here. That explained it all. Why the doormen and the people who tended to the condominium seemed so nice. They knew who I was it. It's great that they didn't overreact. However, knowing my parents, especially how brutal my mother could be, they probably threatened the people with lawsuits, and much more.

                I step forward pulling Scarlet along with me. There's no reason why they couldn't know that I was with Scarlet. Maybe she was my ticket back to Hollywood, "Dad." It came off bitter.

                He rubs his palms together as if he was unsure of his next words. I was definitely sure of mine. However, I refused to make a scene in front of Scarlet. She wouldn't understand. Scarlet would think that I was being disrespectful to my parents. My mom jumps to her feet and smoothens out her black pencil skirt. She looks more of a manager than a mother. Her nimble fingers reaches for my father shoulders as she takes control, "Colby, we heard what happen."

                Letting go off Scarlet's hand I point to my broken arm, "Oh this. I'm quite fine actually. It's not my first time breaking my arm mom. You should know." I murmur, "I've been in way worse situations than this."

                My mother clicks her tongue in agreement, "You should be more careful, son. I don't know what I'd do if your injuries would have been worse, or," she stops. She doesn't say it, though I knew she where she was coming front. A chill runs through my spine.

                "I'm always careful." I say sheepishly. It's not true, I know, but it causes my mother to snicker at me.

                She shakes her head, "Yea, when you were five."

                I glance over to Scarlet who stood next to me silently. A small smile plays on my lips. She seemed shy, and she's never this quiet. Did my parents intimidate her? I knew it was a little too early to make her meet my exasperating parents, but they were already here--might as well. I place my hands on Scarlet's shoulder pushing her to the front of me. My mother raises her eyebrows at me, and when I shoot her a look, she replaces her confused look with a warm smile.

                "Mother and Father, this is Scarlet," I say proudly, "Scarlet, this is my parents."

                Scarlet nervously shakes my parents hands. My dad has a look on his face that I can't explain. However, I could feel their discontent in their cold gestures towards her. I hope she doesn't realize it. My dad is the first to greet her with a small fake smile, "Nice to meet you Scarlet."

                "Lisa," my mother calls, "You didn't tell me Colby has a girlfriend."

                Lisa shrugs her shoulder at my mother. I could tell Lisa was quite annoyed at the way my parents were reacting towards Scarlet. I was starting to get sick and tired of their bullshit too. The only thing that was holding me back from telling them about it, was Scarlet. I think I need to talk to my parents alone. I turn to Scarlet and whisper, "I'll meet you in the car downstairs. Maybe I could hang at your place tonight. I just need to talk to my parents for a minute."

                Scarlet nods at me, and bids her goodbye. As soon as she leaves I could feel my anger rising, and the tension becomes thick as ever. I heave in a great about of air getting ready to tell my parents off, but my mother interrupts me, "Before you go all inferno, please think about your choice of words, because I am still your mother, and I am still your manager."

                "I could always get a new manager, Mother." I spat at her. She rolls her eyes as me.

                My father steps forward, "We just want the best for you, son. Why do you always make it seem as if we're the bad guys?"

                I folded my arms across my chest, "So, you think that acting cold towards a girl I really like is doing what's best for me?"

                My mother shakes her head, "Scarlet seems sweet, but how long until you cut her off? Or worse until she pulls a Tyler on you. Then, you start acting out again."

                "Scarlet is not like that." I say to her.

                "Tyler wasn't like that too." My dad chimes in.

                "I know Scarlet isn't like that." I angrily say, "You guys have no idea how Scarlet helped me realize my wrongs in my behavior. You guys are here trying to convince me to cut ties with her."

                My mom nods her head, "I understand your infactuation. She's a pretty girl." she walks closer to be but I take a step back, "You have a role for a new movie and we want you to come to back to L.A. on the next flight. We are allowing you to stay here for another week or so. I'll text you all the information."

                My eyes go bright. They're letting me act again? "Mom, really?"

                Dad nods his head, "Yes really."

                My mom steps closer to me and smiles slyly, "Now please explain to me. You're in L.A. and Scarlet is in New York? How is that going to work out?"

                I really don't fucking know.