"The best of the best." 

        "The best can't even show their face?"

        The man smirks. "I could or-" He lunges forwards, pinning me against the wall with a dagger pressed against my throat. "I could do this." 

        I whimper, craning my neck against the wall to get far away from the dagger. The blade is cool and sharp against my delicate skin. I had dropped my own dagger in the process.  "P-Please." I desperately whisper. 

        A low chuckle comes from the man. "I guess not all weres are fierce like their animals. This will be an easy kill." 

        My left hand slides around my window sill, searching for the one item I always leave on it. My fingers brush up against the wooden pencil and I squeeze it in my hand. I swing my arm around and jab the tip of the pencil in the man's neck. The man yells out in pain, hands grasping at his neck. I push him away with as much strength as I can muster. He stumbles backwards, losing his balance. 

        I spin around and begin to throw myself out of my bedroom window. The man groans from behind me and I look over my shoulder to see him scrambling towards the window. I quickly pull my left leg out of the window just as his hand darts out of it. I roll on the top of the first floor roof, arms scraping from the rough shingles. I catch myself before I get too close to the edge of the roof. 

        The man begins to climb out of the roof, daggers in hand. "Looks like the kitty has some claws after all." He laughs at himself. "Your death will be easier to explain this way. It'll look like you jumped." 

        My feet scuffle across the shingles, painfully. The heels of my feet fall off of the edge and I scurry forward. "Why are you doing this?"

        "Because it's my job." 

        I bite down on my lip. I can't die. I just can't. 

        "I thought you were supposed to be a were-lynx. A fearless creature that was able to defend itself against predators." The man steps forwards closer to me. "You're a pathetic excuse for one."

        I glance over my shoulder to see about a ten foot drop to the ground. Any normal person would break their legs after making this jump. I'm not normal, though. I survived after falling from the roof ofthe hospital. I can do this. I'll jump off and run. 

        A dagger is thrown in my direction and I leap out of the way. Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough and the dagger slices the side of my stomach. I nearly fall off. My head whips back around to face him. A low, animalistic growl comes from me and I feel my teeth bare. The man tilts his head to the side. "Well, that's different."

        I growl louder this time. 

        "You're supposed to be a lynx, not a cheetah." The man grabs a small object from the inside of his pocket and clicks a button. A bright light blinds me and I realize he is holding a flashlight. 

        With the light on me, I look down at my bare arms to see dark, black spots scattered all over my skin. Long, blacks claws are extended from my fingertips. My hands fly up  to my teeth to find them ten times sharper than how they were when I was a lynx. Gradually moving upwards, my fingers brush over my flattened nose with whiskers attached, all the way to my ears that are a little more pointed. 

        Without a moment of hesitation, I take two steps backwards and jump off of the roof. In a perfect cat stance, I land on my feet and hands, crouched. I push myself up to see the man staring down at me with wide eyes. I spin around on my heel, sprinting down the street in just a pair of pajama shorts and a sweater.