💧Chapter Sixteen💧

The weather was perfect, warm. The sun was bright in the sky. The animals of the forest were getting along perfectly, their offspring playing. But it shouldn't be like that! Hurricanes should be tearing trees off the ground. People screaming and running. The world itself should be falling apart because that was how the Original Order felt or what was left of it anyways. It didn't feel right without Soren. It would never feel right him.

Ash gently pulled Gabriel to his feet, tears dried upon his cheeks. She called over Audrey and walked away, holding Gabriel's hand.
They had a small part of the border to themselves. Ash was resting her head upon Gabriel's chest, the male had his head on her's, like they had so many weeks ago. Back then it wasn't so sad, just pure romance. Gabriel breathed in Ash's sweet honey scent. It was soothing. Audrey had wrapped herself around the couple's ankles. Ash then kissed him, passionately. When they broke apart, Gabriel found himself stroking Audrey, her warm, grey fur was a pure comfort while Ash hugged him tightly. Eventually, Gabriel stood and said quietly, "I'm going to go and check on Ivor,"

The second Ivor was in just Harper's company, he broke down and cried. Dammit, why didn't she have wings like Gabriel!? She pulled Ivor to her chest, despite being shorter than him. Ivor's tears felt like acid burning through her skin, hurting her with his grief. She closed her copper eyes and buried her face in Ivor's shoulder. They had been so caught up in one another's touch that they hadn't heard footsteps before a weak and broken voice said, "Ivy?"
Gabriel had tearstains down his cheeks. His eyes were red and puffy from all the crying, brown hair unkempt and messier than normal. All of these were visible signs of grief. Audrey was at his feet, nuzzling him, trying to make him feel better.
Ivor stopped crying, abruptly. He knew he had to stay strong for Gabriel and Ellegaard, but it shouldn't be this hard. He met the greyish blue eyes. Both sets were grief-filled. Harper, knowing that the two just wanted to be alone with each other, left them be. She would be able to comfort Ivor later.
Audrey bounded up to Ivor and began to lick his face. Gabriel managed a weak chuckle, "Audrey get down," He said, half amused. Audrey did so, allowing Gabriel to come up to Ivor. Ivor noticed that Gabriel was sniffling and whimpering quietly, like when he was about to cry. Ivor gently hugged him. He heard Gabriel speak like a small child that had witnessed someone die,
"I want Soren to come back," His voice was cracking with many emotions. Ivor sighed. He'd have to go full big brother mode,
"I know. I know, Gabriel," He said softly, "All of us do.... But he can't, you know that as well as I do,"
Gabriel started crying again. Ivor, too, cried quietly. Audrey came up to them and tried to make them feel better, but to no avail.

Ellegaard was alone. Gabriel had Ash to turn to, Ivor had Harper but she was alone. She had no one. She gazed up at the stars. Soren and Lydia were among them tonight. Tears began threatening to fall. Why hadn't she tried to save him! No wonder Soren had thought that the Original Order never liked him. They had all sworn the day they all became friends that they would have each other's backs. She remembered it so well. Gabriel used to be so playful sometimes.
Somehow, she had ended up picturing Daniel supporting her. She imagined herself, drawing closer to him, their lips about to- Wait! What? She thought, her cheeks reddening. Why was she so contempt with picturing she and Daniel kissing!? She allowed herself to continue this image.

The group was in the clearing of Soren's death. They had finally made a funeral for the fallen architect. It has been silently decided that they would bury him without magic. As Lukas moved the last of the dirt over the body, the others bowed their heads. Audrey just moved closer to Gabriel, who scratched her behind the ears. Ash, Harper and Jesse stood close to the final Original Order members. Their eyes were blank. Gabriel didn't decline the supportive hug Ash gave him. They'd recover from this, soon hopefully. While Ash didn't exactly like Soren, she would still be there for Gabriel.

Once the funeral was over, Ellegaard said, "We should go," Her voice was surprisingly strong, "If five of them found us yesterday, it means that they're onto us!"
Gabriel nodded, "I agree, it's no longer safe here," He then turned to face the area where Soren was buried, "I just want to do something, quickly,"
He ran to the part of the clearing and knelt just behind where Soren's head was and wrote into the ground:
Here lies Soren Williams.
A great friend and builder.
1980-2021
He sighed inwardly. It wasn't neat but it's what Soren would have wanted.