💧Chapter Nine💧

The next morning, Gabriel grew nervous. The look in Jesse's eyes suggested that she recognised the lullaby. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that Ash looked a little annoyed at him. It was about the previous night, he could tell. He sighed and asked Ash for a private word.

Gabriel sighed, he didn't meet his girlfriend's eyes, "I..... I haven't been completely honest with you, Ash,"
Ash's expression was hard to read, she looked worried and scared. The warrior bit his tongue, "I knew Jesse's parents well. When Jess was born, they.... Asked me to be her godfather and I said yes," Now his eyes were feeling hot and were stinging, "But I let them down! I failed to protect her and be there for her when they died! I just let everyone down!"
"O-Oh, I'm really sorry that happened," Ash said, somewhat guiltily. "I'm just... Worried someone might get hurt be your's and Ellie's powers, particularly your ice and-"
Gabriel had pulled her into a hug and wrapping his wings around her, "Trust me Ash, no one is going to get hurt," Ash began to notice how soft those pale blue wings were and adjusted into a slightly more comfortable position as Gabriel continued, "Ivor would get extremely mad with whoever caused the injury but the main point is that he's good with wounds so everything will be alright,"
Ash swallowed, "Is there... Anything else I should know?"
Gabriel shook his head and his voice cracked, "You mean other than childhood traumas?" He asked, burying his tear stained face in her hair.
"I'm not gonna ask you to into that,"

As the two walked out into the group's clearing, the first thing they saw was Jesse's body, mangled and scarred. Gabriel ran to his god-daughter's side, "No... No Jesse please no...." A hand gripped his shoulder. Ivor's dark blue eyes met his own. Taking Ivor's hand gratefully, Gabriel allowed himself to be pulled to his feet. Ivor smiled and wiped Gabriel's tears gently, "She'll be okay, she just needs rest and a Healing Potion,"
Gabriel sighed, "Good,"
Ash walked to his side, "What even happened?"
Ivor looked half amused, "She got caught in a blackberry bush,"
Gabriel couldn't help the amused smile and Ash chuckled. My word Jesse, how do you manage to do these things? Gabriel thought. Ellegaard came into the clearing with Harper. Ellegaard looked at Jesse and said, "She'll be okay, then?"
Ivor nodded. Ellegaard then looked to Gabriel, "There's a small manor house nearby, Harper and I want to go but we're unsure if it's safe,"
Gabriel smiled, "I think we ought to have a look,"