❄️Chapter Twelve❄️

The manor was silent nearly all of the next day after Lydia's death. Soren, Harper, Ivor and Ellegaard recovered quickly and spent their time comforting the others. The newcomer, Eliza, didn't speak, recovering slowly. Nothing felt right. Daniel's eyes were empty of anything but grief, Arianna could be found out by the outskirts of the surrounding forest. Gabriel was the worst. He was no longer eating or sleeping. Bags were forming beneath his eyes. He was tired or crying. It was his fault. All his fault. Maybe she would not have died if they hadn't of made up. If she still hated him, perhaps she would still be there. Ellegaard had tried to reassure him that the fault was her's. That she was more concerned about about him being fine than Lydia's health. Gabriel refused to believe this. It had brought about a row. Ivor stepped in and said that they were both at fault. Ellegaard was innocent, everyone but Gabriel was innocent. Soren had tried to get him to eat once it had become clear that he hadn't eaten after the others had.

He was staring down at the white grave at his feet.
Here lies Lydia Rosianne Black
May her memory forever remain in her friends, siblings and descendants.
Gabriel bent down and place a pink rose on the dirt. His eyes were red and were still stinging. He closed them. The breeze ruffled his brown curls. He sat there for a while. He let out a shaking sigh before murmuring, "It doesn't feel right without you, sis. It really doesn't,"
He stayed like that for the next hour or two.

Ash was worried about Gabriel. She never knew what grief could do to him. She needed to talk to someone. Someone who knew Gabriel incredibly well. Ivor was tempting but didn't sit right. She didn't want to bother Daniel and Arianna. Soren had already tried with Gabriel and Eliza needed rest. Ash'd resorted to Ellegaard, whom she found in the library. The Earth Phoenix was buried in a book. Ash debated leaving Ellegaard be but decided against it. She sighed inwardly, "Ellie,"
Ellegaard closed the book, making a mental note of the title and page number. She turned to face Gabriel's girlfriend. Ellie's face became that of concern,
"Worried about Gabriel?" She asked, quietly. Ash nodded, not meeting Ellegaard's eyes,
"Yeah...." Reddish-brown hair dipped in front of her brown eyes, "He's crying every night and he can sometimes be a little clingy some days,"
Ellegaard gave a small smile, "I don't know whether him being clingy is sad or freaking adorable!"
Ash nodded, "More adorable," Her loving smile faltered, "But that doesn't change the fact that I'm worried about him,"
Ellegaard put a reassuring hand on her shoulder and asked, "Do you want me to talk to him?"
Ash nodded gratefully.

The sun was setting behind the forest, turning the trees in beautiful silhouettes.
"Gabriel?"
Ellegaard's voice caused Gabriel to jump slightly. He stood up and turned to face her. She looked concerned and a little disappointed. Gabriel bowed his head, "I'm sorry, about earlier I mean,"
Ellegaard smiled slightly, "It's fine, I'm sorry too," The smile faltered, "We need to talk,"
Gabriel raised his head and looked confused, "About what?"
"About Ash,"
Gabriel immediately looked alarmed, "What's happened?! Is she alright?!"
Ellegaard smiled, "She's okay, just worried about you," She paused, "We all are,"
Gabriel sighed, "This is about my... Recent behaviour, isn't it?"
"Mhm,"
Gabriel looked guiltily away, "I'm sorry, but I can't stop thinking about what happened!"
The girl touched his shoulder gently, almost similar to a mother reassuring a small child, "I know but this isn't healthy," She muttered, "You're eating tonight, aren't you?"
Gabriel sighed, "If it stops Ash from worrying, then yes,"
"Good," Ellegaard grinned, "And please be clingy around me and Ash, we've both agreed that it's adorable!"
Gabriel chuckled.