Return

Angst

Your first expedition outside the walls made you felt nothing but nervousness. Of course, it was your first time. And it wasn't just you. One of them was Mikasa.

She was afraid, but not because of the possibility of her getting killed by a titan, but it's because you may be killed by one. She was restless about it. She was afraid to loose you because she loved you.

If anything were to happen to you, that would have been her biggest nightmare. But she made sure you will be safe. As long as she's there with you.

Though you're in a different squad from hers, that won't stop her from protecting you when she has to, and to visit you even when it's restricted.

You tried reassuring her to calm her down. Mikasa was always in her composure and collected. But when it comes to dangerous missions, she would get stressed out from the thought of you getting hurt.

"I love you." You said softly to her. I promise I'll be safe so I could see you again later." You gave her a promise for her to look forward to. You made sure that you would protect yourself for her. And she made sure she would also protect herself for you.

It was then the female titan showed up, Mikasa grew more and more worried. She thought of possible things that could have happen to you and your squad.

Thoughts that she couldn't help took over her. She tried looking for you everywhere. But you weren't to be seen.

"Sasha." Mikasa called her friend as she stood on the branches of the tall trees. Sasha looked at Mikasa, noticing her worried look.

"(Y/n). Where is (Y/n)?" Mikasa asked eagerly, hoping that you could be seen by anyone. Sasha only shrugged. "I haven't seen her. Maybe she's deep in the woods with her squad." Sasha answered before Mikasa sighed. I hope. She thought.

After the whole fight with the female titan, Mikasa hasn't seen you. She tried telling herself that you might be somewhere out there, and she hasn't noticed you yet.

But what made her even more nervous was that she hasn't seen any of your squad members.

Mikasa looked around, searching for you as she held Eren's hand. But she couldn't see you or hear your voice anywhere.

She didn't even catch a glimpse of you.

She grew worried.

Her heart started racing.

Eren noticed her worried expression and frowned. "Mikasa, is something wrong?" He asked.

Mikasa was once again restless.

"I-I - I can't see (Y/n)." Mikasa replied, not once looking down to Eren as she continued searching for you.

Eren sighed before trying to sit up, catching Mikasa's attention. "Eren no, you're injured. Don't sit up." Mikasa said, eagerly trying to make Eren lie back down. "I just wanted to help you find (Y/n)." Eren said. "You don't have to. It's okay." Mikasa answered.

"(Y/n)..." She muttered under her breath.

When everybody got back to the headquarters, Mikasa ran to Levi. "Where is (Y/n) - Where is her squad?" She asked eagerly.

Levi instead gave her a cold stare, making no other face whatsoever. "I haven't seen her or anybody from her squad. I'm assuming they're dead." Levi deadpanned.

Her eyes enlarged and knitted her eyebrows. "She's not dead! I'm sure she isn't!" She yelled in denial.

Levi sighed in annoyance. "Listen, Ackerman. This is the survey corps. Don't expect everyone to survive each expedition." He said and walked away.

That fucking short stack. Mikasa thought. She then proceeded to ask the other squads, eager to see you after a long expedition.

"Do you know where (Y/n) is?! At least one of her other squad members!" She asked to the others, a visibly stressed and worried look plastered on her face.

"I.. Think I saw one of her squad members approach the female titan and got killed. He's the only one I saw. I'm not sure for (Y/n) and the others." Armin said sadly.

As they walked away, Mikasa stood there in shock, still in denial. But the feeling in her gut is telling her to believe that you, her beloved girlfriend is dead.

"I love you."

You told her,

"I promise I'll be safe so I could see you again later."

Tears streamed down Mikasa's face, her expression not changing.

She stared into the distance, collecting her thoughts as a lump formed in her throat.

Her mouth went slightly agape, not believing her own thoughts, and not a word that Armin and Levi told her.

But it did happen, no matter what she could do.

And at that moment, she knew you were really gone.

After everyone attempted to kill the female titan and instead resulted Annie into being inside the crystal,

Mikasa spent the rest of the day lying on her bed, curled into a ball and cried until the next day came.