Under The Umbrella

Modern AU

It was the end of the day, you could barely see the sunset as gray clouds cover the sky. You thought that it might have been a cloudy Friday.

You grabbed your books from the desk and exit the classroom. You walk across the hallway until you reach the exit. Before you even took a step outside, it starts raining.

You grip tightly on your books as you watch, and let out a grumble. Great, it's raining. You thought.

You looked around to see if anybody was around and saw that the school was almost empty, a sigh of relief escapes your lips. You place the stack of books above your head, still gripping on them, and run outside the school.

You kept running until you found a bench with a little roof. You went there and sat on it, placing the books on your lap as you decided to wait for the rain to eventually stop.

You almost dozed off from waiting until you hear a voice.

"Hey."

You jumped, startled. You looked at where the voice came from and you saw a girl with short raven hair and gray eyes, someone you didn't know much about but had the same uniform as yours.

She wasn't someone in the same class as yours, but you would often see her walking around school with some other boy. Apparently, you knew her name since you hear people say it a lot, "Mikasa."

"Oh, hi. I didn't see you there." You said. Mikasa gives you a small smile and you just noticed that she had an umbrella with her.

You smiled back as the two of you held eye contact for a while. "Rainy day, huh?" She started. You nodded, looking away.

"It's really long, too. I wonder how long I have to wait." You muttered. She lets out a small chuckle before reaching her hand to you. "Here, I have an umbrella with me. We can walk home together." She offered.

You look at her hand before looking back into her eyes. "Really? But..." "I insist. I wouldn't want you to stay here until evening." She answered, smiling.

You sighed before taking her hand and going beside her, having the same umbrella as Mikasa's above your head. She looks at you and smiles, "You okay?" She asked. "Yeah."

The two of you started walking as Mikasa held the umbrella for the both of you. Your shoulders accidentally brushed against each other, making you blush.

"S-Sorry." You mumbled very quietly, making it inaudible for Mikasa to hear. She looked ahead, composed as you looked at everywhere but her.

Your hands held your books, pressing them against your thighs. Well, this is awkward. You thought.

The both of you continued walking for minutes which seemed like hours. "Hey, are you really alright?" Mikasa asked. "Yeah, I am. Why?" "Because you look unsettled."

You blushed and looked down. "Oh - I-I was? Sorry, I'm just not really used to walking with someone else home like this." You replied, your voice quiet.

Mikasa smiled faintly, "It's alright. I feel that sometimes, too." She said, facing you.

As the two of you crossed the streets together, the rain kept pouring, the loud sounds of rain falling filling in.

You looked at Mikasa and your eyes trailed from her lips to her eyes, adoring her features. "Need anything?" You heard her say, bringing you back to reality.

"N-No, sorry." You stuttered as you looked back ahead of you, watching the rain pour in front of you.

"Oh, I forgot. I'm Mikasa Ackerman. What's your name?" Mikasa asked after a long silence between the two of you. "(Y/n) (L/n)." You answered.

She smiled, "Nice to meet you (Y/n)." She said, "Um, nice to meet you too." You answered, still feeling awkward.

"Hey, if you mind me asking, what do you think about rainy days?" She asked. "I don't know, I don't really think about it that much." You answered, not looking at her. "Personally, I like it whenever the weather is cold, especially when it rains." She said.

"It's one of the best times to lay cozy in bed and read a good book." She adds. "Say, what do you do during the cold weather?"

"I... Honestly don't think about it much. I just do whatever I want to do. It's not really a big deal to me." You answered. "But, sometimes I would look outside the window and watch the rain pour." You told, a smile forming on your face.

Mikasa looks at you with a smile, enjoying your talkative side. "I'm kind of glad to hear. What else do you like doing when it rains?"

You looked back at her, your eyes maintaining eye contact with her gray ones. "Maybe listening to music, but that's what I also do when the weather is clear." You muttered.

She smiled, "That's fine, there's a lot more to do when it's raining. That's why you should cherish it while it rains."

Realizing how close your face is to hers, you faced your head away from hers, blushing.

The both of you stayed quiet again until you see your house. "Um - that's my stop already." You said, pointing towards its direction. She nodded, and the two of you made your way to your front door.

"Thank you for walking with me, especially through the hard rain. It means a lot." You said, giving her a smile.

"No problem. I'm glad I helped." She says, returning the smile. "Would you like to come in for tea? Or maybe hot chocolate if you want." You offered.

"No, that's okay. I wouldn't want to go home late, too. But thank you." She said. You nodded and went to open your door, but before you did, Mikasa gently grabbed your shoulder.

You faced her, waiting for her response. "You're an enjoyable person. I hope we'll get to know each other more." She says, making your face heat up slightly.

"Yeah, you too." You replied sheepishly. Mikasa waved goodbye to you before walking away. "See you next week." She said. You stared at her figure slowly fading away through the rain. "S-See you next week!" You said back.

You smiled to yourself, staring into the rain. I'll see you again. You thought to yourself as blush formed on your cheeks.

Until next time.