A Promise

Bucciarati was sitting in a chair in front of the changing room. You came out after changing to get his opinion on each dress for the event.

"No, too plain."

-

"Too extravagant."

-

"Too Victorian-era."

-

"Too stiff."

-

"What are you, going to a funeral?"

-

"Too revealing."

-

"I think my Grandmother wore that once."

-

"Just, no."

-

After many more futile showcases of trying on dresses, you finally come out with the one.

It's as if time itself stopped. His heart skipped a beat, his eyes widening as his jaw dropped slightly.

The dress was a deep red, with off shoulder sleeves, revealing your collarbone. The dress wasn't too tight to exaggerate your curves, but it complimented your silhouette nicely. It flowed down, leaving an opening for your left leg to be revealed. You looked seductive in that dress and it was pulling him in.

"Hmm. I dunno" You said skeptically, as you examined yourself in the mirror.

He noticed a couple of people were now staring at you. He got up abruptly, shoving you back into the changing room. "Too ugly" he said bluntly, closing the door quickly.

You pouted behind the door. "Harsh."

He sat down, sending daggers through his cold glare to the people who were staring at you before. They quickly walked away.

After all that, you ended up buying a nice evening gown which was a deep navy blue. Bucciarati had to admit to himself it didn't look as nice as the red one, but he for some reason couldn't stand the thought of another man seeing you in that dress.

You two went home to continued the rest of your day as usual, doing mostly paperwork. You had to bring Bucciarati back into focus a few times, as he kept zoning out into his thoughts.

You brought dinner to his office this time, the two of you eating as you worked into the night.

He stopped working, stretching in his chair and sighed from exhaustion. "I think that's enough for tonight, get some sleep y/n. We have a busy evening tomorrow."

You noticed there was still a pile of paperwork to be done. "You're going to bed too, right?" You asked, concerned.

"No, I need to finish this up. But it's alright, I don't want to keep you up any longer." He was trying to be considerate of you, but you knew he was taking on too much. The visible tiredness in his face said it all.

You sighed. Walking over behind him, giving him a gentle masssage on his shoulders.

At first this surprised him, but he soon leaned into your comforting touch, as his tense muscles eased up a bit. "Y/n, please. I may just fall asleep like this" he pouted, knowing he needed to finish his work.

"No Bucciarati, what you need is to go to bed. You're over exerting yourself. I'll work extra hard tomorrow, so the papers you missed today can be made up for tomorrow." You said lightly.

He hummed in response, closing his eyes. "Alright."

You continued to gently massage his shoulders for a few more minutes, until heading to the door to leave.

"Y/n" he whispered out.

You turned around to him. "Hmm?"

"No matter what happens tomorrow, I won't let anything happen to you." He said firmly.

You were taken aback for a second. Is this what was keeping him from focusing?

You nodded. "I appreciate it. Goodnight Bucciarati."

"Goodnight, y/n" he smiled.

You left to your room, slipping straight into bed.

You couldn't help but wonder how tomorrow's events will play out as you drifted asleep.