Chapter 30

The next morning I wake up to Jàime sitting on my bed holding a cup of coffee. She waits for me to sit up then she hands me the cup. I take the cup, blow on it then take a sip.

"I filled Kaden and Dane in on everything." Jàime says.

"What did they say?" I ask.

"What do you think they said? They're fine with everything and if you need anything they got your back too." Jàime says.

"You all are too nice. I'm sorry about all of this. I know you guys didn't sign up for this shit." I say.

"You don't need to apologize. You have nothing to be sorry for and you didn't sign up for this either." Jàime says.

"I know but it's my little sister and baby brother. It's either they're with me or in foster care until court decides. I was in the system and I know what that was like. So in a way I guess I did sign up for this." I say.

"We will get through it." Jàime says.

"I don't know how with your contract and training but we will figure that all out." Jàime says.

"It's done." I say.

"Done? You killed William?" Jàime asks.

"No. Something happened and my contract was terminated. I also can't see Damien ever again so that sucks." I say.

"What? Why?" Jàime asks.

"Apparently his father doesn't want him around me and God isn't too happy with Damien and I being around each other either." I say.

"God?.. Like God?" Jàime asks as she points upwards.

"Yep." I say.

"What else did I miss?" Jàime asks shocked.

"I kind of was a bitch, to God, maybe I shouldn't have been but he said he wasn't going to take EJ or Gemini." I say.

"I really hope so." Jàime says.

"Me too." I say.

"Are you sure it's not gonna be an issue for me to have the kids here? I could just go rent a place for the time being if that works better." I say.

"Gemma, you're not doing this alone. Besides, we already got all this stuff for them." Jàime says.

"I know. I have to call Lizzie's lawyer and fill him in on all this so he can maybe tell me if we even have a lawsuit. Her funeral is tomorrow but really I'm trying not to think about it." I say.

"Well, best to get it done. And I'll be right there with you. I know it's hard but at least you have friends and family who love and support you." Jàime says.

"Yeah. Honestly I think if it weren't for you guys I'd completely lose my mind." I say.

"A little crazy is healthy." Jàime jokes. I laugh.

"I'm gonna start setting up the rest of Izzy's stuff. Make your calls then help me." Jàime says as she stands up and walks over to a pile of wood that is to be a dresser. We started working on it last night but were too tired to finish it.

"Hey." I say. Jàime looks at me.

"Thank you." I say.

"No need to thank me. I got you." Jàime says with a smile then goes back to putting the dresser together.

I get my phone and go down to the kitchen so I can call Lizzie's lawyer. I tell him everything I know from what the hospital told me. He says we may have a medical malpractice lawsuit but it could be a lengthy and costly process but if we win then the party at fault will pay all fees. I tell him I want to go forward with it. I plan to use what I have left of my savings and my dads insurance money.