・゚: *✧・゚:* Chapter 40 - An Cloigtheach*:・゚✧*:・゚

✧・゚: Chapter 40 - The Bell Tower*:・゚✧

21st of January 1761

Y/N's POV

The bright sunlight disrupts my sleep. The sun dances across my face as a light breeze from the open window caused the curtains to flutter, the light bouncing across the glass. I opened my eyes, quickly squinting against the barely risen sun, my ears taking in the sound of birds chirping.

I slowly sit up, my upper body propped up by the plush pillows on the bed. I quickly realised that it was early, my gaze turning to the clock neatly placed on the mantle – seven in the morning.

Slowly I dangle my legs over the side of the mattress, my feet touching he ground as I stand. I slowly pad around the unfamiliar room, the memories of the previous days returning to me with each step I took.

I slowly realised that I had never been awake this early in the castle, George normally woke me up at around eight. He wouldn't be awake yet.

Quickly with this realisation I paced towards the door, the hardwood shocking my feet as I stepped off the rug. I press my hands up against the door, realising that I couldn't just open it and walk out until I knew the hall was empty.

Slowly I place my ear against the door, listening intently for any sign of human life. I hold my breath realising that that it's abnormally silent. The castle sounded dead.

Smiling to myself as I realised that I might have a chance. I carefully twist the doorknob, the sense of freedom overwhelming me as I quickly pace my way down the hallway.

I inhale a sigh of relieve as my gaze focuses on the floor. I halt quickly as a pair of shoes makes steps into my gaze, I take a quick step back, lifting my gaze as I come face to face with George.

"I-" I stutter, my mind working quickly to formulate an excuse, any excuse. Slowly, I realise my attempts were failing. I watch in dismay as George's face morphs into one of amusement. Quickly, as a last resort I take a quick step back turning on my heels, in an attempt to retreat back to my room.

I feel an arm grasp my wrist preventing me from getting further than a few steps away from the male.

"There's a lock on your door- I hope I don't have to use it." I turned quickly at what the male had said, my shocked expression meeting his smug one.

"But that doesn't matter anyway my love, I won't be addressing your guards every morning, now will I?" I furrowed my brow at his statement realising the only reason they hadn't been outside her door was because George had summoned them.

I opened my mouth to retort, however I decided against it, a scowl settling onto my features.

"Cheer up love, you look better with a smile."