・゚: *✧・゚:* Chapter 32 - Daoine Nua, Agus Sean*:・゚✧*:・゚

✧・゚: Chapter 32 - People New, and Old*:・゚✧

13th of January 1761

The sound of sombre hooves against paved, cobbled roads rang through the village as we slowly walked our way through the town. I stood in a small crowd of about fifteen people as we slowly made our way after the horse and cart.

The sun was slowly setting over the village, each of us holding a small flickering lamp as we walked, lighting up the dull streets, the clanging of church bells rang throughout the countryside.

George's arm was wrapped tightly around my waist as I huddled in close to his side, the brisk January evening air was cold and unforgiving. George was huddled up in a warm black woollen coat, a cape was draped over my shoulders, hiding the same black dress I had been wearing the previous day.

I felt George's gaze on me as we continued walking Samuel, Aoibhinn and Oliver following closely beside. In front of the carriage marched twelve red-coated soldiers, as a 'sign of respect'; however, I knew they were mainly there for the safety of George and me.

I furrowed my brow slightly as Apollo snorted, lowering his head as he made his way through the town centre towards the small church. I could tell he sensed the sombre attitude; he knew the carriage he was pulling didn't just hold a regular coffin. He gazed back at the group walking slowly behind him as he turned his head to see where he was walking again, soon pulling to a stop outside the church.

Everyone files into the church before George and I, relieved by the heat that stung their cold limbs. I heard the light chatter of the redcoats behind us as they prepared to bring down the coffin. I sharply inhaled, gritting my teeth, preparing to stay stoic as I feel George's hand cup my chin.

"My dear, are you ready?" George said lowly, his face flushed from the cold. I quickly nodded as he pulled me into a hug, placing a kiss on my forehead. Once he released me from the hug, he gave me a reassuring glance as he allowed me to link arms with him, walking me to a set of pews in front of Aoibhinn, Samuel and Oliver.

The air was thick, humid yet freezing cold all at once. George's hand was still draped around my waist as we watched six redcoats walk down the aisle a wooden box, balanced atop their shoulders.

I felt empty, I didn't feel anything, my mind was numb to the pain my body had been experiencing, the lack of sleep, not to mention the lack of emotional pain. I felt my grip tighten on George's hand as the sermon began, the words getting lost in the space between the priest and me.

I felt George's thumb graze across my knuckles, bringing me back into reality as I realised the few tears I had shed, quickly wiping them away with a handkerchief. As George gazed down at me, attempting a sympathetic grin.

-

People emptied out of the church, following after the recoated soldiers. I went into autopilot mode, my feet carrying me towards the priest as I quietly thanked him for the service, George politely shaking his hand as he offered me his condolences. I nodded as George turned me around slowly walking me towards the entrance of the church again.