・゚: *✧・゚:* Chapter 29 - Easpa Codlata *:・゚✧*:・゚

✧・゚: Chapter 29 - Sleeplessness *:・゚✧

10th of January 1761

George's POV

I tangled my fingers through Y/N's hair, our breaths visible in the cold air, her body shaking, her quiet sobs filling the silence. Apollo lay silently behind us, Y/N curled up in my lap, as she carefully ran her fingers upon the sleeping horse's cheekbones, allowing her to settle down slightly.

"Come on love, if we stay any longer you will catch a cold." I carefully picked up her light frame, placing her down next to me as she hid her tear-streaked face in her hands. I stood cautiously, watching as Apollo awoke, pricking his ears at me as I slowly rose to my full height.

Apollo snorted lightly as he nuzzled Y/N, who had not settled for the past hour. I gazed at the clock that was visible from outside the stable door as I sighed.

"My love, it's two-in-the-morning, you need sleep." I slowly reached down to Y/N who remained curled up in a loose ball as I scooped her off the stable floor, her legs resting over my left arm, her head tucked under my chin as my right arm wrapped around her waist.

I hushed into her hair, trying to sooth her stifled sobs as I carefully walked towards the house dampening the flames of the lanterns that had been lit on my way.

As I made my way through the back door and into the warm kitchen, I slipped off my shoes. I felt Y/N shiver in my arms from the change in temperature. She stayed silent, hiding her face in her hands as quickly made my way through the house and up the stairs.

I quickly made my way into the bedroom provided for me as I placed Y/N down on the surface of the bed, watching as she slowly curled up in a small ball, her puffy, red eyes meeting mine. Carefully, I removed the shoes from her feet.

"George, my mother-" I nodded taking a seat beside her on the bed as I reached out my hand, cupping her cheek. I gazed down at her as she held back the sobs, fighting the pain she felt deep inside, her eyes were hollow from the sleepless nights and she was frail from the loss of appetite.

"One hour, my love." I watched as she began to shake her head slightly her eyes widening in panic as a tear ran down her cheek, her breathing becoming slightly erratic.

"I will check in on your mother whilst you sleep, I promise." I watched as she sat up, her upper body swaying lightly as she gently placed her left hand on her forehead. I quickly steadied her with my right hand, letting her lean against my chest as I combed my fingers through her hair again, removing the pale blue ribbon that once held a neat section of curls.

I separated her hair into three sections combing each one through with my fingers, carefully swiping the loose strands of hair away from her face. I slowly untied the ribbon, setting it to my left, on the soft duvet of the bed. Gently I twisted the three sections of her hair into a simple braid that fell down her back. I tightly tied the blue ribbon into the end, securing it.