Chapter 73 - Dancing at the Retiro park

"Where are we going?" she asked, while they walked to the elevators.

"Out," Alek replied vaguely.

"I would have never guessed that," Jane joked.

They took his car and drove through the streets of Madrid.

"Madrid in autumn is a beauty, don't you think?" Jane asked.

"Absolutely agree."

"Where would you like to live?" Jane asked, before she could stop herself. She regretted asking the question, fearing it might lead to their previous discussion about their relationship.

"I don't really know," Alek replied easily, not wanting to take the conversation there either. "The only place that has ever felt like home to me is my parents' house in Scotland, where I grew up. But honestly, I would not mind living in Madrid, it's a beautiful city."

"You know I love your parents' house in Scotland," Jane admitted. "But I love living in Madrid too. It feels like home to me!"

"I can see that," he smiled. "But if I were to live in Madrid, I would definitely buy a new place, preferably a house on the outskirts of Madrid."

"Really?"

"Yeah, the penthouse is great, but it's more like a bachelor's den, rather than a house. It could never be home to me, you know?"

"I know," Jane agreed. "I love the views though."

"That view is why I bought the penthouse. I guess I don't mind having an apartment in the city, just not the penthouse. I would not mind living nearby here, for example."

"Nearby the Retiro park?"

"Yeah, to be walking distance from a huge park, that's priceless in a big city."

"It would be amazing, and now in autumn, the Retiro park is a mesmerising."

"Glad you think so, because that's exactly what I had planned for the next couple of hours."

"Really?" Jane asked surprised. "That's just perfect!"

Alek parked his car nearby one of the entrances of the Retiro park, he took her hand in his and they started walking around. It really was the perfect place to be, the beautiful park with all the leaves changing colours, the marble fountains, and the almost empty pathways. There were not many people around, as it was too cold to just go for a walk, so it made it even more special, as if they had the park to themselves. They walked by the Crystal Palace, a fairytale palace made out of glass, overlooking a small pond and surrounded by trees that had turned yellow and red.

"Come here," Alek said, letting go of her hand and pulling her closer to him. He took out his phone and took a selfie of them with the Crystal Palace in the background.

"Let me see it."

"You look lovely," Alek smiled, showing her their selfie.

"It's a beautiful picture," Jane said, looking fondly at it.

They continued walking through the park as the lights were turned on, making it look even more romantic. Jane was holding on to Alek's arm so they could be closer together and keep each other warm. When they reached the lake, by the Alfonso XII monument, Alek offered to buy her a hot chocolate to warm up and he got a coffee to go for himself. They walked along the lake, usually very busy with people and tourists, but now there was barely anyone around; just an old man painting the lake and a young man playing his guitar. Alek nodded at both of them, and then turned to Jane, picked up her cup of hot chocolate and put it on the low wall surrounding the lake, next to his cup of coffee.

"May I have this dance, my lady?" Alek asked her, leaning forward, as if they were characters from a black and white movie.

"What?" Jane asked surprised.

At that moment, the young man with the guitar started playing Have you ever really loved a woman by Bryan Adams. He had a beautiful soft voice.

"Did you do this?" Jane asked, looking at Alek's smiling face.

"I'll tell you if you dance with me," Alek whispered in her ear, taking her in his arms. They started dancing as the young man continued to sing.

Jane felt so shy, but since there was no one around watching them, she let go of her shyness, and let Alek lead her, as they slowly danced on the edge of the lake under the cold winter night sky. She could not help a tear from falling when she heard Alek sing along to the song:

 She could not help a tear from falling when she heard Alek sing along to the song:

"I love you, Alek," she whispered.

"And I love you, L.J.," he whispered back, giving her a small kiss on the lips.

The song was long over, and the next one after that, but they continued to dance, their bodies joined by the cold and the music.

"This is perfect, Alek! Thank you," Jane smiled at him.

"You're welcome, L.J.," he replied with a huge smile, happy she had liked the surprise. "Shall we say hello?"

"Yes, please."

Alek picked up their lukewarm beverages and they walked together to the young musician, who greeted them with a happy smile.

"You have a beautiful voice," Jane smiled to him.

"Thank you," the musician replied. "Glad you enjoyed my singing."

They talked for a moment longer, until the old man who was painting nearby, walked to them.

"Aquí lo tienes," he said, showing them the painting he had done of them dancing. Here you have it.

"I can't believe this," Jane exclaimed stunned at the beautiful painting. "¡Es tan bonito! ¡Muchísimas gracias!" she said to the painter. It's lovely! Thank you very much!

Alek thanked them both and gave them a huge tip for helping him orchestrate this surprise. They said their goodbyes and happily continued their stroll through the park, until they reached his car once again. They got in and turned on the heater, suddenly feeling the cold weather outside.

"I can't believe you did all this," Jane smiled, looking at their painting and then at Alek. "It's the most romantic thing ever!"

"Glad you liked it, L.J.," Alek smiled, kissing her softly. "Though I can only  take credit for organising it, not for thinking it. It's what my dad planned when he asked my mom to marry him."

"Of course, he did! They were both so romantic, and I can see why she said yes. It was a beautiful afternoon. Thanks again."

"My pleasure," Alek smiled.

"And now we even have a painting to remember it forever."

"I never said I was going to let you keep it," Alek laughed when he saw Jane's stunned expression. "OK, if it means so much to you, you can have it."

"You love to tease me," Jane said, shaking her head.

"You know it," he laughed. "Shall we have dinner now?" Alek asked, turning on the car.

"Yes, please!"