Chapter 28 - I'll see you soon...

Back in the carriage, just the three of them, Jane thanked Cain for a wonderful surprise party.

"You're welcome, babe! Just happy you had a good time," Cain replied, smiling at her, his eyes really unfocused as he had had too much to drink, thanks to Rick.

"I absolutely did," Jane said, looking directly at Alek. She had a good time with Alek in that sitting area, though they had been stopped once again.

"That's good," Alek smiled at Jane.

A few minutes later, Cain fell asleep in his drunken stupor, cradled by the carriage.

"Are you really leaving tomorrow?" Jane whispered to Alek.

"I have to," he replied with a sigh.

"When are you coming back?" she asked, feeling miserable and missing him already.

"On Friday... I'm going to miss your birthday."

"Don't worry about that," she said dismissively, though she had been looking forward to having him there.

"I do! I'm really sorry I won't be there to give you a much-deserved birthday kiss," he added with a wink.

"That would have been really nice," Jane sighed.

"You have no idea."

"Rain check?" Jane asked with a small smile.

"Absolutely," Alek smiled back.

They stood in silence, just looking at each other, their minds back to their time together in the sitting area, as he was touching her, over and over.

"Thank you again for HG! It means more than you know," Jane whispered, trying to keep her mind away from her naughty thoughts.

"Glad to help! It's a worthy cause. You should be proud of your work. My team loved it as soon as I pitched them the idea."

"Really?"

"Yeah... we're always looking for new projects and they could not believe they did not know about yours, with it being right here in Madrid. You really need to work on your exposure."

"We have no money for that," Jane laughed.

"That will be taken care of soon. And our funds will attract even more funds, trust me," Alek said with a half-smile.

"That would be great! You have no idea how much we need the money. I guess that's why I feel so bad about having these parties, when I can't afford the most basic renovations at HG."

"I know your finances, I've checked them. I believe you have done a great job considering the small capital you had. But now, it's going to be easier."

"Definitely! Thanks, Alek!"

"You're welcome, L.J." He leaned in and kissed her hand.

"The 19th century really suits you," Jane teased, as she watched him kiss her hand.

"You think? Because I was thinking it was perfect for you."

"I would have loved it," Jane grinned.

"Well, I don't mind the technology and medicine of our time."

"And the running water," Jane exclaimed and they both laughed.

"The hot tub, it's lately become one of my favourite places."

"Oh, really?" Jane smiled at him.

"Yeah..."

"I'm going to miss you this week," she admitted.

"Me too." He looked down and asked her, his voice just above a whisper, "Will you reply to my messages while I'm away?"