Chapter 38 - Meant to be

Since she was not in a rush to go back to the penthouse, as Rosa would take care of the unpacking and not let Jane help anyway, and she did not need to go back to the office today, she decided to put the clothes she had left behind back in her walking closet and just hang out in her apartment until Alek called her. By the time she was finished, a tall glass of water in her hand, the only beverage she had left in her apartment, just as she sat on her couch, her phone rang. It was Alek.

"Hi L.J.," Alek said happily as she answered the phone.

"Hi Alek! How was your day?"

"All good. I'm done here. I just need to wait for the paperwork to be printed and signed. It will be ready first thing tomorrow morning so I can sign it and finally return home."

"That's good. You have the afternoon off then?"

"Yes! I will be able to go on a short safari, though I'm not expecting to have much luck. It's only an afternoon, so I don't know if we'll be able to spot any wildlife, but at least I won't be in an office, so that's something."

"Lucky you. Sounds great."

"Yeah. How is the moving going?"

"All done."

"Really? So quickly?"

"Well yeah, I just had them pack my clothes. That's it for now. I still have to decide about my furniture."

"Oh, OK! Good for you," he did not sound convinced.

"I don't feel like emptying my whole apartment just yet to be honest; it's just too sad," Jane explained.

"You don't have to. Plus, I really like your place, I understand why you don't want to leave it just yet."

"I really don't," she admitted. Though she could not bring herself to say that he was also a major factor in this equation.

"That's OK. You can keep your place as it is for now. You'll figure out what to do with it later on," Alek said. It seemed like he knew what she was scared of without her having to tell him.

"That's what Luna said too."

"Of course, Lulu agrees with me," Alek laughed.

"She would say that you are agreeing with her, but I'm not going to get in the middle of that," Jane laughed.

"OK, OK. How was your birthday? Did you have fun?"

"Yeah, it was good."

"Only good?"

"It would have been better if you had been there," Jane admitted.

"I miss you too, L.J.," Alek whispered.

"I didn't say that."

"Whatever! Did Luna like my gift?"

"She really did! Though she's not happy your letter made her cry." Then she thought maybe he did not want Luna to read his letter. "I'm sorry. I gave her your letter, I didn't think to ask you first."

"Hey, I know by now that whatever is said between us is also shared with Luna, I don't have a problem with that."

"That's good," Jane smiled.

"Will called me last night, he was so relieved you gave him your blessing."

"You know about that?"

"Of course. We've been planning it for weeks, even before I knew Lulu was his fiancée. I told him that he should ask for your blessing as well as her parents' and that he will receive it without a doubt; I knew it would make Lulu happy to know that Will had asked the three of you first."