Chapter 62 - Sweet, sweet nightmare

It was a beautiful sunny day in their home in Scotland. Jane was making breakfast for her family. It was just another Friday, but it felt different somehow. Jane finished making a ton of pancakes, eggs and freshly cut fruit when she heard her two men come down the stairs. Her husband had taken care of their son, getting him dressed and ready for school while she made breakfast for them.

"Morning, mom," her son greeted her happily, hugging and kissing her.

"Morning, son," she smiled warmly. He looked so much like his father.

"It smells delicious, L.J.," Alek kissed her on the lips. "Our son has something to ask you..."

"Does he now?" Jane smiled, putting the plates full of pancakes in front of her men.

"I thought we might go ice skating this weekend," her son said, looking hopeful at her.

Jane looked at Alek, and they smiled at each other, "Well, if you manage to finish your homework today, we might have some free time to go ice skating tomorrow."

"Yes," her son exclaimed cheerfully. "You are the best mom in the world!" She hugged him hard and for some reason, she felt like never letting go.

"L.J.! Wake up! Wake up! It's only a nightmare," Alek was yelling at her for some reason and she could not understand why, as she saw him right next to her, smiling at her as she hugged their son.

"Wake up, Jane," Alek shook her hard and she finally opened her eyes, looking at him. "L.J.! You're OK. It was just a nightmare."

"It was not a nightmare," Jane whispered, her voice hoarse, tears falling from her eyes. "It was the most beautiful dream I have ever had!" She hugged Alek, ignoring his confused face.

"Shhhh... Calm down, L.J.! Everything is alright."

"It was so beautiful," Jane whispered in his arms, her body shaking. "He looked exactly like you, just as I imagined him."

"Who are you talking about?" Alek asked, looking into her teary eyes.

"Our son," Jane groaned, drying her eyes with her palms. "We were at your parents' house in Scotland. I was making breakfast and you were getting him ready for school. You both came downstairs to the kitchen and he asked me if we could go ice skating during the weekend. And I said we could go if he finished his homework tonight. And then, he... he hugged me and said I was the best mom in the world!"

"Oh, L.J.! You are the best mom in the world," Alek whispered, hugging her to him.

"It felt so real, Alek! He was such a handsome, smart boy, just like his father," she said, caressing his face.

"Tell me more," he whispered.

"You two had such a great relationship. It was so obvious. You helped him to get ready for school every morning and he worshiped you," Jane said, kissing him softly on the lips as his eyes started to water.

"That's it," he finally whispered. "That's the life I wanted for us!"

"Me too, Alek," she whispered back.

They held on to each other for a long time, whispering soothing words to calm each other. After she stopped crying, Jane spoke again. "I have an Albanian friend; she told me this saying they use there on the anniversary of a loved one's death," Alek looked into her eyes. "They say to each other: I wish we live long so we can remember our loved ones together."

"That's a beautiful saying," Alek whispered. "I wish we live long so we can remember our son together."

"And your parents," Jane added.