seven | for my next trick ⬦

Book: For My Next Trick...

Author: LynaForge

Genre: Romance/Retelling

BLURB

It was interesting. However, I think it might be a little TOO short. It is important to find a balance in regards to the length of a blurb. One sentence is unfortunately not always enough to lure in a reader.

COVER

I did like the cover. However, the colour palette wasn't the most attractive. I think the colours clashed. I've taken a look at the covers of some of your other works and this definitely does not stand in comparison to them.

LANGUAGE CHOICES

On the whole, the language was extremely mature and enjoyable. However, I noticed you used the word 'nincompoop.' I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that. However, personally, that is a turn-off in books. I'm sorry to admit I cringed when reading that. Other than that (lmao I'm so sorry) your writing was impeccable <33

PLOT

The plot started off as pretty cliche and I thought I would be able to guess how things would end up. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I realised there was so much more to the plot like the character complexity.

HUMOUR

I loved this aspect of the book. Not only was your book enjoyable, but I got a good laugh out of it. I understand 'nincompoop' - oh god why do I keep saying that - was trying to add to the humorous aspect, although I personally don't think it was suited in the book. Humorous lines were slotted in subtly throughout the book. This little detail makes the book so much more enjoyable. I always note to authors to try and work on little details like this so well done!

CHARACTER INTRODUCTION

I know this sounds like such a simple thing but you wouldn't believe the number of books that fail to do this. I loved how we learn character names through dialogue. We don't just get handed it through a paragraph alongside their entire life story from birth till now (jokinggg... unless). You gave character info through scenes which I was so thankful to see. It really does make a book so much more enjoyable.

GRAMMAR/SPELLING

Overall, this was really good. However, no-one is perfect, so here is a couple of mistakes I noted

Original: 'one ore two' - pretty sure you can see the mistake now haha

Edited: 'one or two.' - This was in Chapter 2 when Gregor has come to see Mason

and

Original: 'It she'd had an older sister'

Edited: 'If she'd had an older sister.' - Chapter 5

CHAPTER START + END

This really stood out to me. Both the start and end of the chapters were very engaging. The end of chapter 7 was a perfect example as I then couldn't NOT read the next chapter. The suspense and need to know were killing me.

POV

So In some chapters, it wasn't written in Poppys POV, but Masons. However, this wasn't made clear. I would recommend noting to the reader the change in POV. Another thing that added to this confusion is that 'Poppy' was displayed on every banner.

CHAPTER NAMES

In all honesty, I wasn't a huge fan of this. The chapter names sometimes got a little dull. I think the one thing that was a real turn-off, was the numbering besides the name. The title itself wasn't too bad. However, I don't think the numbering was necessary. I know this quite a small detail - but I do pay attention to them haha.

ENDING

The ending. OMG! That was literally perfect. It was so creative and I literally wanted to cry because it was over. That is probably one of the BEST endings I've come across in a book. It was also pretty humorous which I loved!

OVERALL

Honestly, there wasn't much to fault about this book which means it doesn't exactly make for an extensive review. I enjoyed your book so much - it is clear you are a talented author with a lot of experience!