seven. wicked is good

"Nini, you know Teresa and Thomas, right?"

The girl looks up from the microscope which contained the blood particles she was trying to study— the blood that they had gotten from the infected.

"We grew up together. Of course I would know her." she deadpanned, taking her eyes away from Ava Paige as she focused on how the cells were reacting to the chemicals she was adding to the blood.

"So you know they're the one's designing the maze for Group A right now, right? They got promoted a few weeks ago."

Nini pauses, her eyes trailed on the floor. Ava Paige had found out just weeks before that Thomas and Teresa helped her sneak around to meet some of the Group A subject's; the same kids that they've befriended. The girl only knew Newt, Minho, Jisung, and Alby.

Nini was strictly forbidden to do that. Minho, Jisung, Alby, Newt and the rest of the Group A subjects were at the bottom of the barrel; then there was Thomas, Teresa, Aris, and Rachel, the elites, and on top of the barrel was Nini— only her. Born with enhanced brainwave activity that WICKED seemed to like; she was trained to be one of them ever since she was five.

"Don't act like you don't know I know you." Nini says, removing her gloves as she stared at the doctor with annoyed eyes.

"We've punished your friends for your secret meetings... I think it's only fair we punish you too."

Nini sighs, knowing that nothing could hurt her anymore. Especially after what they did to her and Newt while their immune friends were forced into a Crank Pit. "What?"

"You'll be the person who's in charge of the operations on removing their memories." Ava Paige smiles sweetly, which only made Nini want to punch her. Nini really loved Ava and looked up to her as a mother until they punished her friends for meeting up with them. "They'll be on Anastasia the whole time, but they'll be awake. They'll be seeing you do it to them."

Nini shook her head. "I won't do it. I'm 13."

"Why not? This is not a request, Dr. Salazar. It is an order. You may be young but your capabilities are far beyond your age— you're the only living human who became a Doctor at the ripe age of thirteen." Ava Paige coaxed her. "Besides, you're the only person I truly trust with Group A."

Nini shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes but she wouldn't let the woman see it. "No. I'm not doing it. No."

"Is there something else that I should know?" Ava Paige raised her eyebrow, trying her best to not smile at the state she was in right now.

"I won't do it. I won't. I won't do it."

"But you will, Dr. Salazar." Ava smiled. "This is the end of our conversation. We will be starting tomorrow. Thomas and Teresa have already perfected the maze. Remember Dr. Salazar, one fatal mistake in the operation and you put the subject's lives at risk. The brain is—"

"The most vital part of the body. One tiny mistake and it might cause bleeding, brain swelling, infection, brain damage or death."

The girl knew the human body like it was the alphabet, and Ava Paige grinned as she pat her head. "Good job. Remember, Nini. WICKED is good."

As Ava Paige walked away, Nini Salazar let the tear that she kept in her eye drop.

"Nini..." Newt called, "What's going on? What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?"

"Closed eyes.." I mumble, opening the window, letting the light shine into the girl's eyes. She doesn't respond. "Depressed brainstem reflexes, such as pupils not responding to light.."