six. predatory dominance

"Are you sure, Nini? Are you sure they're coming back?"

"They are." I tell Chuck sternly, although I wasn't really sure myself. There were four of them stuck in the maze and Jisung had managed to survive it my himself— so the likelihood of them surviving was higher.

There was absolutely no reason for me to trust Thomas— he was a new Greenie, after all. The same boy who didn't know his name as soon as he stepped out, but there was something about him; something forcing me to trust in him.

Every morning, the maze doors rumbled open. Normally, I would still be fast asleep by this time, but now my nerves were almost killing me as I waited for them to fully open. Chuck called the others to get up so we could help the four Gladers as soon as they exited the maze, but we were all thrown into disappointment to see that no one was waiting for us.

Newt let out a sigh, his hand making it's way to my shoulder. "Told you, Nini. They're not coming back."

I shook my head as the Gladers started to walk away from the maze doors. There was no way they weren't coming back— this was Jisung. Minho. Thomas. Although I didn't know the latter really well I was absolutely sure that he wouldn't get his ass killed. Not now, at least.

My eyes were still on the maze doors, and a rush of excitement flooded me in as four figures were walking out of the maze. The same feeling I've felt the day I was announced as a Med-jack.

"Look!" I exclaimed, pointing towards the four. The Gladers made their way back beside me, their eyes widening in disbelief.

"Yeah!"

My lips curled into a giant, proud smile when I heard the happy voice of Chuck. Everything had been really gloomy just a few seconds ago, and hearing everyone happy gave me this sort of euphoria. The Gladers started clapping— probably not expecting for them to survive.

"Yes!" Chuck continued to cheer, "yeah! Yeah!"

Chatter echoed as Minho and Thomas continued to stumble forward, Alby in their arms and Jisung trailed behind, fiddling with his hands. Newt, Fry and a few others helped Minho and Thomas set Alby down, allowing the both of them to let out a breath of relief.

"I got him. I got him." Jeff quickly mumbled as he helped Ably lay on the floor. He had a giant bash on his forehead, and I couldn't help but admire whoever thought of doing that.

Minho and Thomas collapsed to their knees next to Alby's unconscious body, as Jisung remained standing behind them, crossing his arms over his chest.

Furrowing my brows, I walk over to the seemingly frozen boy, giving him a pat on his back. "You okay, Sung?"

"I'm alright." he mumbled, still looking a bit distracted.

"You saw a Griever?"

Thomas smiled at Chuck. "Yeah, we saw one."

Jisung, who was silent for the whole time, finally spoke up. "He didn't just see it," Jisung said. "He killed it."

Everyone fell silent as their eyes turned to him. I didn't know killing a Griever would arouse so much attention from them, but based on their reactions, maybe it had never happened before.

Taking the band aid and wrapping it around Alby's head, I spare a glance towards Jeff and Clint who were helping Minho, Jisung, and Thomas.

"Is he gonna be alright?" Newt asked nervously from beside me. From my experience in being in the Glade for a month, one thing I noted that Newt had a very close relationship with Alby. The boy had trust him to become second in command, after all.