ten. griever massacre

I felt my heart stop against my chest as I stared at the maze walls. They were all too familiar— for the past month, I've been waiting infront of it waiting for the runners to come back. At this time, they usually were closed but now it was dark and they were still wide open.

Without thought, I took Chuck and hid him behind me out of instinct, unable to think straight. The group of us all just stood there, staring up at the large doors in a mixture of fear and confusion. What was happening? Why weren't they closing? What's going on?

A sudden clank echoed, causing you to flinch, my hands that were wrapped infront of Chuckinstinctively coming up to cover my ears. The second the sound passed, I straightened, searching around the glade to see where the noise came from. My question was answered the moment I turned behind Jeff.

The maze doors across from me, ones I was definitely sure that I've never seen even opened, were opening. A flock of birds started flying into the air in reaction to the sudden sound.

Oh my god. Oh my fucking god.

Again, the clanking echoed, rumbling that seemingly shook the ground beneath me. I didn't flinch this time, but my eyes did snap to mg right, the set of doors there also sliding open. And finally, the last set of doors, to my left, opened as well, confirming my fears.

There was absolutely no way the Greivers weren't going to attack tonight— not with the doors wide open.

"Oh no." I could hear a quiet voice from beside me— Jisung. "Not again. Not again. Not again. Fuck."

"Okay," you heard Thomas speaking, interrupting the silence that had until that moment surrounded everyone. "Chuck, I want you to go to the Council Hall, okay? Start barricading the doors."

Chuck nodded nervously. "Okay."

"Winston," Newt commanded. "You go with him."

"Got it." Winston said, grabbing Chuck out of my arms as they ran towards the Council Hall.

Gally turned to the Builders. "Go get the others. Tell them to go to the forest, go hide. Now!"

"Minho," once again, my focus was brought on Thomas, which made me turn to look at him. "I want you to grab every weapon you can find. Teresa, go with them.

Newt griped my hand, squeezing it tightly. He mumbled a quick 'stay safe' before he ran with Minho, Frypan, Teresa, and a builder who I didn't know was.

Then, as if noticing my eyes, Thomas turned to me. "Nini, go with—"

"I'll go get Alby. I need someone with me." I commanded, looking around to see who was left. "Thomas. Jisung. Go with me."

Just as the three of us moved to walk away, a sudden scream interrupted us. "Grievers! Run!" I snapped my head to the right, eyes widening when I saw a group of Gladers running desperately away from the maze doors to my left. "Go back! Go back!"

"Oh no..."

I flinched when I heard an unfamiliar bellowing.

"ALRIGHT, EVERYBODY HIDE!"

We all run in different directions due to fear. Thomas was leading the Gladers through the grass field but I ran after Jisung who stayed a little far from the group. They all had torches lighted up high— the Greivers were definitely going to see them.

The corn was high and scratchy, but I slapped them away from my face to keep going. Once we reach the fields, Jisung, who even in the dark I could see his eyes shiny, held me close and whispered to me. "Stay down. Don't move."