One

The final bell rang as she ran like her life depended on it to reach the school gate. If it closed before she got there she would be in serious trouble. She was never late for anything, but mum needed her help this morning and she couldn't leave her to do it all by herself.

Huffing she dashed through the gate as the punctuality prefects tried to pull the gates shut. At this point she was thankful for its monstrous size.

She kept running till she reached her class,dropped her bag and ran out to the assembly ground. It started exactly five minutes after the gates were shut.

Luck seemed to be on her side as she dashed towards the JSS2 line and was given space to move to the front row. As the smallest in class that position was permanently reserved for her. Same as in class or anything that had to do with school.

'Thank you", she said grateful to Shola for fixing her shirt collar. The last thing she needed was to escape one punishment and bag another here.

The assembly proceeded without a hitch and soon it was time for classes to commence. Her first period was civic education and just her luck she had finished her assignment late at night before bed.

She wasn't one of those excessively bright students, barely hitting average. But Snr Olanna had been kind to them as their prep supervisor had shared tricks on how to optimize assignments and quizzes for good grades. 

That was JSS1, and so she had faithfully done all her assignment and read for every quiz. Even had to force herself to spend one hour reading everyday to help herself.

'All assignments should be on my table before break time. Class rep if i settle for break and don't find them then i assume you kids want to dash me your ten mark. Now our topic today is...', the classes blended into each other and soon it was break time.

The break was for thirty minutes so she took the opportunity to rush off to the restroom to relieve herself. Apparently half of her class had the same agenda as the restroom was soon filled with her classmates.

Jokes were shared, insults appropriately distributed, through it she laughed with others. Then a senior came into the restroom and she was greeted. A ruckus started outside so they abandoned the mirrors and went outside to see a fight between two seniors. But nobody dared interfere.

As big as their school was and as academically sound as they were, cultism was the order of the day.

The old principal had been able to make inside the school safe for the students as any cult activity or fights resulted in immediate expulsion from school and the SARS officers did the honors of removing the culprits from the compound.

The new principal had promised not to take it lightly with them if they resumed activities inside the school. And like clockwork the principal arrived with a horse whip which he cracked and the fight was immediately stopped. The last students that fought and were caught had scars to tell the tale.

'Mr Obiajulu Nwoke and Mr Praise Rufus, would you prefer to walk on your own or be whipped to my office?', Mr Emmanuel asked with barely concealed rage.

The said students quietly turned and walked to his office, the on-lookers disappeared from the scene before he punished them as well.

'Na wa, na so so fight them go de fight for this school. One day dem go kill person, na dt time their head go done', Sopuru said as they filed back to their class. They still had five minutes before the chemistry teacher came in.

'My dear, the matter heavy for mouth o! Anyway let's mind our business before they'll say we want to carry the matter. Me i cannot run o, not to talk of fight. You remember what they did to our seniors na, they went to chuk mouth', Ekperedike said as she got comfortable on her seat.

'They'll just put me inside pocket, problem solved!', Esther said making those closest to her laugh.

'Smally! Pocket big,na pure water satchet dem go use!', someone said from the back and they laughed good naturedly till the chemistry teacher entered the class and the madness stopped.

Another one is here

you know the drill

comment

vote

and share

God bless you