Chapter 31

My sight was blurred due to the tears that threatened to spill over, the tears I knew I wouldn't let fall in the middle of a hallway.
I blinked fast trying to clear my vision before anyone came down the hallway, however I knew I was too late when I hit something solid and felt hands on my arms to steady me from falling back.
"Are you alright?" A man asked, his hands still on my arms.
"Yeah, I'm fine." I responded awkwardly as I took a couple steps back to get his hands off my skin, it was warm and it was comforting.
After Keath's betrayal, I've learned that comforting is dangerous.
"Alright, well what are you doing over here?" The man asked again, the more he talked the more his voice sounded familiar.
"I was just exploring the halls and got a little lost I guess." It was a quick and effortless lie.
"Fair enough." I could hear the man's nails scratch against his skin slightly.
Slowly my vision began to clear as the tears dried in my eyes. I looked up and saw Evan looking around nervously.
"What are you doing down this hall?" I asked.
"Promise not to say anything?" He smirked down at me, but I could see the nervousness in his eyes.
"I promise." I said giving him a small smile.
He grabbed my hand roughly and started walking really fast which practically had me running behind him trying to keep up.
Thats when we reached the visiting room that I was just in, I felt a knot start to form in my stomach and my mouth started to go dry as fears started flooding my mind.
Is this man going to hurt me like Dylan? Is this going to be like school? Is he going to use me as a punching bag like the rest? Is he going to be like my parents?
"Hey relax and get in here or you're going to get us caught." Evan hissed at me as he waved for me to come into the room with him.
Slowly I started to walk inside I stood by the door, so if he did try anything at all...I could escape before he caught up to me if need be.
He got on his hands and knees infront of the couch, confused I watched to see what he was doing. Soon he stood up and had a pack of cigarettes and a lighter in his hand.
"Alright let's get out of here before they come back." Evan said as he shoved the cigarettes and lighter into his pocket.
I nodded and waited for him to make the first move for the door.
"Alright." I said softly as looked down at my feet.
I could tell her was slightly annoyed by my actions but didn't voice his thoughts, instead he just walked over to the door and opened it.
The look on his face was like a deer caught in the headlights when he opened the door and saw his mother, Dr. Wilson.
"And what do we have here?" Dr. Wilson asked.
"Nothing mother." Evan said finally getting his act together.
"Then why did you look so surprised?" She asked.
"Because I wasn't expecting to open the door and see you standing right there." Evan said in a duh voice.
Clearly she wasn't believing him, you could see it all over her face, its really not that hard to miss.
"Dr. Wilson, Evan and I were just talking, I was upset over Keaths visit, and I ran into Evan in the hallway, he could see I was upset and wasn't comfortable discussing anything in the hallway so, I suggested we come in here to talk." I explained.
I could see she was still suspicious but she didn't push any further, instead just motioned for us to leave the visiting room.
Evan visibly relaxed when we were finally out of his mothers view.
"Thanks for that." Evan spoke.
"It wasn't a problem." I replied honestly as we continued walking.
"So you do have a friend out there." Evan said with a smirk playing on his lips.
"Not exactly a friend." I mumbled in response.
"So then a boyfriend I assume?" He asked.
"No. He used to be until I caught him in bed with another girl." I explained.
"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Did you recognize the girl?" He asked.
"Yes, however I do not feel comfortable discussing it." I answered simply as I wrapped my arms around myself to keep the familiar pain at bay, so I dont break down in front of this stranger.
"Well whoever it was. I hope it was worth it." Evan said, barely audible.
"Whats that supposed to mean?" I asked.
"It means, you're gorgeous and he is missing out on an amazing person, so it better of been worth it if he threw you away like that." Evan explained, scratching the back of his neck nervously. "Anyway, thanks again for what you did with my mother, but I have something to do." With that said he rushed off, leaving me standing there in an unfamiliar hallway, to find my way back to my room.