28. Fine line

Driving to the hospital is definitely the easy part

Driving to the hospital is definitely the easy part. There isn't much traffic today. Maybe it's because William is speeding.

He came to the office this morning, oblivious, with a cup of tea in his hand, ready to talk to his father about moving the wedding date. He did promise it to Nina. Just when he was sitting down and picked up the phone to call his dad Micah entered the office and told him the news about Lennon Lewis being rushed to the hospital last night, concert cancelled and suspected overdose. Tea spilled all over the papers on the desk was long forgotten as he was already running through the door.

Is this really happening? He can hardly comprehend it.

Is he dying? Shock grips him. Numbness like he never experienced spreads through his body. Lennon has so much left to go, so many places he has to explore, moments to live. He is too young, too promising. Now when William has him back in his life again, by mere twist of fate, even though only as a client he still feels like he can lose so much more.

He wanders down the memory lane torturing himself with bittersweet memories. He can't lose him. He feels guilty for some reason. If he made a different choice back then, if he chose him would this still have happened?

*

It is easy to find out the floor where Lennon is. Everyone knows Lennon Lewis. Soon enough he finds himself in the hallway where he's been told his room is, approached by Jorja and their manager. If someone recognised him, they didn't acknowledge it.

"What are you doing here?" Jorja is the first to talk to him.

"How is he? What happened?"  The uncertainty is driving him mad.

"You shouldn't be here. This is all y.... Hmm... You know what? I can't. I don't have the energy anymore. Just stay away."

"William. She's..." Rick, their manager appears behind Jorja, holding her tense shoulders and then letting her go. She disappears somewhere. "She is just upset and stressed. As you understand. All of us are. Lennon is okay, thank god. He is resting," he breathes out in relief. "They pumped his stomach last night and ... It was bad, but not life threatening. He can actually go home this evening after they run some more tests but he will have a house nurse for the next few days. I was just about to call you about the concerts, we're not sure if Lennon will be capable of performing."

"He's not. We're cancelling the shows. I will manage all of that, later, we will arrange other dates. All he has to do is recover now."

"Thank you for that. You didn't have to come all the way here, you must be busy..."

"Oh no. It's .... Fine. I came as soon as I heard."  He didn't even think if his coming here would raise any eyebrows, if people other than Lennon's band members know something or suspect. Maybe they wll just add it to their alleged new bromance that started at the tattoo parlour. "Can I see Lennon? Is it ok if I see him?"