18. The knowing

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so William grabs the first glass of champagne that he sees

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so William grabs the first glass of champagne that he sees. Nina shoots him a warning look but he can't care less if again she has a problem with him drinking. He really wants to let go of her hand now but he's afraid that she might suspect something.

Maybe he wants for her to suspect. Maybe they should fight and then it will all be out, he would not have to lie anymore. The thought crosses his mind as he watches Lennon shaking hands with Nina's friends, murmuring hey, how are you-s , being all lovely and charming, obviously happy to meet some of the familiar faces he likes watching on tv screen.

"Oh my God, look who the cat dragged in. The one and only, Mister Lewis!" William and Lennon both look in the direction of this loud voice.

"Oh. Hey Matty. You alright, mate?" Lennon smiles once he recognises a young man in white shirt with black bow tie and ridiculously curly ginger hair. Lennon reaches out his hand but Matty has different plans and goes straight in for a hug - all that creates a really awkward embrace but Matty laughs at that so loud and grabs Lennon's face with both of his hands, kissing his cheek.

"Oh you know I like to cuddle Lennon, why would you deny me that!"

Lennon winks at that, they both smile. William takes a sip of his champagne, a big sip - Matty fucking Sinclair. William was never a big fan of this pretentious loud actor and reality star that he met on Nina's set once, when she was filming a season of her TV series in New York last year, and now even more. Lennon doesn't seem to mind talking to him, they obviously know each other, but there is something more there and he can't help but look at the two of them, trying to figure it out.

William himself is on his third glass already and trying to keep a conversation with Nina and one of her other colleagues not far away from where Lennon and Matty are sitting. He can clearly hear Matty's obnoxious laugh and see the way he is casually placing his hand on Lennon's leg while explaining something dramatically. The way Lennon's nearly half-unbuttoned shirt is showing his nipples when he moves is making matters worse. Matty's face is lit up brighter than a toothpaste commercial and he has that soft look on his face.

He fancies Lennon.

As soon as William realises that he can't stop looking at their interaction, something strange boiling inside of him. He really needs a cigarette now to calm his nerves but that means he has to go outside and there's no chance in hell he will leave.
Lennon is watching him too. He nods at whatever Matty says to him, but every now and then he will look at William with worried eyes.

And it is like William can't look away, he stares right back at him, paralysed in place. If anyone would look closer, they could see the perfected mask of pretense crumbling down and raw emotions taking over. If anyone would listen carefully, they could hear the cries buried down deep beneath the fake laughs. Then there is a vibration in his pocket and he notices Lennon getting up and leaving the table, fixing his long hair with his hand, disappearing in the crowd. William waits a few minutes and quickly reads the message when Nina isn't looking; it is from Lennon.