The Truth About The Intruder

The scepticism brewing in Mr Wembley's mind was not a good sign. Whatever may be the reason behind it but it had put me on edge.

Trying not to think too much about Dorian, I drove towards the restaurant that Nikolai has mentioned. He had sent me a text with the address - just in case - and I navigated through streets to find myself parked in front of a very sophisticated restaurant.

I got out and found Nikolai walking through the front door of the restaurant. He met the army on the curb and took my hand, giving it a firm shake.

"Hey, I saw you through the window," he said as he started moving us both up the street. "We'll have to go up the street."

"Up... The street?" I questioned looking back at the restaurant.

He glanced back and gave a small laugh, "yeah... We'll have to make a reservation a week in advance to get in there." He said looking at me, "Or maybe I can make one after we say goodbye tonight."

'Smooth' I thought chuckling, "It does look fancy, also I think I am heavily underdressed for a place like this."

"Being casually dressed in a place where people eat only to flaunt their richness? I think it will only make them think that you someone with the money who doesn't feel the need to flaunt it."

"Isn't that bluffing?" I said as we turned the corner, shielding my head from little drops of rain.

To answer my question he simply looked at me and gave a goofy smile.

We emerged in an open backyard like the place. Tree created a leafy roof with while big and small fairy lights covering them. The chairs and tables were of bright painted woods and in the corner was a bar, "I thought you might like this place better." He spoke as he pulled out a seat for me.

"And how did you figure it out?" I asked looking at him as I sat down.

"Well, simple observations. I noticed your office, then the aesthetics of the cafe that we met earlier, I added it all up with the nature of work and concluded that someone like you who deals with so much, might want to be in a quiet a little bright and beautiful place while ending her day. Hence, here we are."

I chuckled, "that's a lot of work to decide where you want to have dinner."

He laughed, "I am a cop, I am nothing if not thorough."

"I appreciate that you put in so much effort," I said smiling.

He bowed his head slowly, "it's my pleasure."

"You want to start with the drink?" He asked nodding towards the bar.

"I do need something to get me going."

We both stood up and started walking towards the bar, I debated if should ask him about the break-in yet, it would be a little rude.

"About the break-in by the way." He said as we reached the bar, he signalled the barkeep and continued, "did you know that the CCTV was not working only on your floor?"

I pursed my lip, "Yes...yes, I knew that"

He raised an eyebrow at me, "That's against the security laws you know that right?" I nodded and he turned towards the barkeep who was waiting for us, "A Negroni for me and spare an orange peel."

"Yeah. I mean they went off a few days ago," I said to him and turned towards the barkeep," an Old-fashioned for me, three-fingers, neat with rocks" I looked back at Nikolai, "and these company people take ages to come"

He glanced at me, "true, I mean I don't blame you. But there is one more thing, that block that we collected didn't have any fingerprints or such thing on them"