Want You To Want Me [Shuuhei Hisagi] for Samantha Sohma

Pheobie sighed, collecting the stack of papers left on the desk by her Lieutenant. He was passed out on the couch in the office, having locked the doors so no one would disturb him. Though Pheobie had the key, being the Third Seat and acting Lieutenant, while the young man was acting as Captain until a new one had been appointed. There was an empty bottle of sake lying on the floor meaning he was sleeping off his drunken state and would wake up with a hangover. It was barely even three in the afternoon.

Nothing had been easy since Tousen defected, the betrayal hitting the entire Division like a knife through the heart, but none had felt the effect as worse as Shuuhei. His mentor, someone he respected turned sides without warning and now he nearly doubted everything in his life. It wasn't healthy.

"Hello, Pheobie," Toshiro greeted when the young woman came through the doors.

"Afternoon, Captain Hitsugaya." Light snores came from the couch, peeking over the top and noticing a passed out Rangiku. "Drinking again?"

"Hangover from whatever she was doing last night... Hasn't even finished her paperwork," he grumbled.

The Third Seat offered a crooked smile. "Sorry to hear that, Captain."

"Pheobie." The Soul Reaper stopped before walking out the door. "How has your Lieutenant been?"

"He's... been better."

The white-haired Captain nodded. "Let me know if there's anything I can help with."

"Thank you, Captain."

It wasn't hard to guess where Shuuhei had acquired his alcohol. Rangiku was more than willing to share if paid. The two of them had also been going out a lot with Izuru and Iba to the bars. Izuru was just as bad, though it was his constant worry towards Momo that kept him somewhat in check so he didn't end up as drunk most of the time.

Her errands running papers went by in a blur, detaching herself from any conversations or engaging for long with others in order to return to the Division as quickly as possible. Upon entering the office Pheobie glanced over seeing Shuuhei sitting up, head in his hands probably trying to stop the headache that assaulted his brain.

"Sleep well?"

He looked over through parted fingers answering with a grunt. There were dark circles under his eyes, sighing to herself and walking forward. "Come on. I'll make you something to help."

She was always doing this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shuuhei was doing better, somewhat. At least the last five days he didn't pass out drunk on the office couch. He was assigning duties to those in the Division, creating groups for missions, giving others the task to clean the barracks that needed a good wash from weeks of neglect.

"Are you going out again tonight?" Pheobie asked when the room had cleared.

"Maybe," Shuuhei answered. "Rangiku said she was planning something." It was always all about Rangiku, making a hint of jealousy swell in her chest. Not hearing a comment, the Lieutenant glanced down at the young woman who walked beside him. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." The answer was almost a snap. "Have fun tonight." And with that, the Third Seat turned down another path in complete her own duties, leaving a startled Shuuhei.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoebie had to admit when she came into work the next morning, she was surprised to find Shuuhei sitting behind the desk reading through files and signing away. She didn't greet him, going to her own desk and began a portion of the work. Every few minutes, the Lieutenant would glace up as she ignored him, wondering if something was wrong. Normally, even in his drunk state, Pheobie would greet him, if only to annoy him further with a reminder that he had a hangover.

"How was your night?" he finally asked.

"Uneventful." She still did not look at him. "Yourself?"

Shoulder's shrugging, the acting Captain straighten a pile of papers. "I stayed in."

Pheobie was confused, but wouldn't ask why. For all she knew staying in meant that Rangiku or Izuru could've come over and they stayed in. Though it didn't look like he was nursing a headache. Maybe for once he actually didn't drown his sorrows in alcohol.

The Third Seat stood, heading for the door without another word, her load of reports that needed to be dropped off tucked under an arm. "I'll come with you," Shuuhei spoke up, rising from the chair. She didn't say anything to acknowledge him. Their errands were silent and even when they were done, he continued following her, trying to strike up a conversation. But the young man was met with one-word answers. It was obvious she wasn't interested in talking to him. Hell, it was obvious she was ignoring him.

"Damn it, Pheobie, what is wrong with you?" Shuuhei finally snapped. He was now annoyed with her attitude. "This whole day you've been cold and distant towards me."

"Nothing is wrong."

The Lieutenant stepped in front of her, halting them both and glaring at the Soul Reaper. "Don't lie to me. You've been acting off this whole week. And becoming almost hostile towards anything I do."

"I don't care if you drink! It's the fact that you're wasting yourself that worries me! That I have to be the one to clean you up every night! The fact that no matter what I do nothing seems to work or matter! You don't want to get better!"

"And?" Their voices were rising by this point. "Go on, I know there's something else you want to say!"

"There is nothing!"

"Don't give me that bull. You've been distancing yourself from Rangiku and me! Even she's noticed!"

Pheobie snapped. "Fine, I'm jealous, okay! You're always together, always talking about her when you wanna go out and have a good time! And you get drunk, which worries me when you're trying to run a Division because I know you're suffering after everything that has happened! That is not the way to feel better about what happened! You have to face the fact that things are gonna have to change!"

"I didn't go out last night!"

"I know!"

"Then what's the problem?"

"You don't get it!"

"What don't I get?"

"I want you to want me as much as I want you, Shuuhei!"

Both paused, breathing heavily to catch their breaths from their yelling, though the Lieutenant's silence was due to the shock of her words. Slowly, a smirk came to his lips, confusing the Third Seat. "I've always wanted you," he stated. Her brows instantly furrowed, head jerking back since they were so close.

"Then what the hell are you always doing with Rangiku?"

"Trying to make you jealous."

A brow twitched in irritation. "Are you kidding me-?"

"And it worked. She was in on it the whole time. Though the drinking... Tousen's leave has affected me in that way. That is real. And I've always been thankful that you're there."

"I'm going to kill you," she growled. He chuckled.

"Love you too," the young man stated kissing her lips.