Good Distraction [Ulquiorra] for Ayame

Temara walked from the University classroom, making her way across campus to the dorms. The shoulder bag was heavy with books, arms full of them as well. There were students everywhere, talking in groups or walking to their next classes. Her blue eyes scanned the area, looking for anyone she knew, coming up to the crosswalk and waiting for the light to change.

"Watch out!" a voice yelled, the girl's head snapping in its direction. There was an out-of-control bicyclist coming her way, unable to stop. Though there wasn't time for her to move either.

A hand roughly grabbed the young woman's shoulder, pulling her away from the danger. Meanwhile, the boy raced by before crashing into the bushes. "Ack! Keigo! Are you alright?" a busty girl exclaimed, running forward. Temara watched them both, recognizing them from her history lecture course. Orihime, was the girl's name, if she remembered correctly. The nurse major then turned, looking at Temara with wide eyes. "I am so sorry, you're not injured, are you?"

"N-No, I'm alright," she answered shakily, pushing the glasses on the bridge of her nose back into place.

Keigo blushed at seeing whom he had almost run over, stumbling over his words with apologies, "The breaks didn't work, and I couldn't stop."

Temara went to answer, but was cut off, "Make sure you do not make that mistake again and get it fixed." The student had nearly forgotten about the person who had saved her and glanced over a shoulder. Her cheeks reddened in embarrassment at the fact that her spine was pressed against a male's chest, an arm wrapping around her waist. But it wasn't just any young man; it was Ulquiorra Schiffer, the science department's second smartest student, only because of Szayel Granz. No one could match his crazy, intellectual mind. Temara had seen the green-eyed student a couple of times around campus, and had heard a lot about him from her friend, Tia, who went to school with Temara until her transfer to Karakura High during sophomore year.

Keigo quickly scrambled to his feet and carted away the bike, Orihime following. "Are you alright?" Ulquiorra asked, his hot breath hitting her ear.

Temara jumped at how close he was, but nodded in response. "Thank you, I didn't know he was coming until it was too late."

"He needs to be more careful."

The young man pulled away, leaning down and scooping up the textbooks that had slipped from her grasp to the ground. "Thank you."

"Mutation of Cell Anatomy?" he questioned, reading the title of one. "You're in Biology." Temara nodded. "You should come to the science department some time. We're doing field experiments on the mutation of species."

"Really?" she asked with curiosity.

He nodded. "If you're interested in the subject, I think you'll like it."

The girl smiled lightly, shyly blushing. "I'd like that very much, thank you."

"Ulquiorra. What's your name?"

"Temara."

"It's nice to meet you, Temara. I'll be seeing you around then."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Temara came by two days later, looking around the labs at the many experiments going on. Her eyes finally landed on Ulquiorra, who sat at a black table typing away on his laptop, glancing at his notes from time to time. The young man pushed his glasses up on the bridge of his nose, moving back of to the microscope before noticing Temara standing in the doorway.

"How long have you been there?" he asked.

"I just got here." He motioned her over.

"Come take a look at this. You came just in time."

It was amazing really as Ulquiorra explained the research he was conducting, Temara offering some information from what she had been studying. He was surprised really, writing down notes to try more tests later. It could probably help in areas he had run into with dead ends.

"Well, well, what is this?" a voice spoke up, cutting into their comfortable atmosphere. "I don't believe I've seen you around this lab before."

"Szayel, this is Temara," Ulquiorra spoke with no emotion in his voice.

"I'm a Biology major," the girl finished, shaking his out stretched hand.

"Aren't you a pretty thing. Watch out, Ulquiorra, or she could become a distraction."

Temara blushed heavily, looking away from the scientist's intense gaze. "Go back to your test tubes, Szayel," Ulquiorra sighed.

The young man grinned, walking away. The girl sat on the stool in embarrassment, returning to reading through Ulquiorra's notes as he continued to work in silence.

When the two walked out of the science building the air was brisk, Temara wrapping her scarf around her neck to block out the cold. "Where are you heading?" Ulquiorra asked.

"Captain Hall. You?"

"Hueco Mundo Hall," he answered. "I'll walk with you then."

They comfortably talked to one another on their way back, Ulquiorra thanking the girl for looking over his work and wondering if she could do it again in the near future.

"Sure, if you want me to. I wouldn't mind. But I don't want to intrude."

His brows furrowed, the emotion startling her since he showed next to none almost all the time. "Why would you think that?"

"Well... uh, I mean." She sighed. "I don't want to bother you if you're busy."

Ulquiorra looked ahead. "Don't listen to Szayel. He's only jealous because we're competition."

Temara nodded, blushing. She couldn't help the small smile from coming to her lips. They were coming up on the dorms and would soon have to part ways. "I guess I'll see you around campus then," the young woman spoke up, shifting the bag on her shoulder.

He nodded in response and the girl went to pull away. "Temara." The said student turned around, startled by how close the raven-haired young man was to her. Ulquiorra bent his head, one hand lightly tugging at the scarf before kissing the corner of her lips tenderly. "You'd be a distraction, but a good one to have," he whispered. Temara's cheeks flushed, biting her lower lip and grinning in response. A light smile touched his face and it made the young woman's heart beat faster.