Too soon?

Skye's POV

My eyes slowly open, this time without being exposed to a blinding light. I yawn, I have no idea what the time is but I do know I'm ready to get out of this place.

I peer around the room, my eyes still slight slits. Baxter is out cold with his head resting on my bed side that keeps me from rolling off.

His sleepy state makes me smile, even in his sleep he wears a boyish grin. It almost feels criminal to wake him.

I lightly stroke his hair disturbing his light snores. His head shoots up, looking alarmed as ever. "What happened?" he shouts but it wasn't ear splitting due to his morning voice.

I chuckle at his reaction "You fell asleep" I quietly say clearly stating the obvious.

He shakes his head like a dog and rubs his eyes attempting to wake himself up "There's a sofa in this room for a reason" I point towards the warm looking leather sofa that looks way more appealing than this bed, I should have taken it. "You could have gone home you know"

He glares at me disapproving of my statement "And leave you here alone? No way" I smile at his sweet nature.

"Well, you aren't the worse face to wake up to" I admit

He smirks, the kind that gets him trouble "You can I'm the best looking man in the world, I won't object"

His big ego earns him a nudge. "Besides, it's me or one of the maniacs"

That is true. My Mum wouldn't have left if she knew I would be on my own, Baxter somehow has everyone's trust. He's earned it over the year so I shouldn't be too surprised.

"Okay, Mr perfect. Let's get out of here"

He rises off his seat and blocks me from moving "You can't sweet talk me into helping you escape"

I tut glaring at him "It's not escaping, they said one night" I check my imaginary watch "And it's morning. Therefore, I have followed their unnecessary rules and now wish to depart"

His expression is conflicted. I can tell he wants to laugh and he also had no defence, once again I have outsmarted the system.

He groans stepping back "Fine, but I really wanted breakfast"

I slap my hands onto his arms gripping them to help me move "Who said anything about missing breakfast?"

Suddenly the motivation to get moving increased astronomically. There was one condition, I had to follow discharge rules.

Which meant seeing Doctor Harvey. With him being in the good mood he's always in and my honourable presences made the whole thing quick.

"You okay?" Baxter asks helping me into his car.

I didn't think much about how it would feel getting back into a car. The last time I was in one it was upside down.

I give him a small smile and nod. My nerves must have been evident since Baxter was driving like I was a driving instructor, slow and steady, but the amount of times he turns his head to check on me would have definitely earned him a fail.

The drive thru was quiet but it might have something to do with it being early and freezing cold, it's still the holiday season.

It feels morally wrong bringing fast food into a hospital but this is far down on my moralities.

Doctor Harvey's eyes fixates on us as we walk in. I hand him a coffee accompanied with smile. We walk to Tyler's room.

I bought him breakfast in hopes of him being awake but I'm dreadfully disappointed. He's led perfectly still meaning no visible progress, making my heart shatter a tiny bit more.

I want to believe he's okay, but it's hard when he can't walk or talk.

Baxter stands next to me allowing me to move at my own pace. I finally find the courage to walk closer.

My appetite vanishes and I'm distracted by all the beeping and waves on the various machines. The more I look the more I fear, Tyler doesn't scare me but what is happening does.

~~~

Hours pass and no matter how long I look or think he still doesn't move. The absence of day light prompted me of the time. We had spent the entire day sitting with Tyler.

It wasn't all doom and gloom Baxter was cracking jokes and demonstrating his new cocktail tricks, which are fairly impressive. The jokes and stories caused laughter which brought guilt along with it, he isn't here to laugh along but would he want us surrounding him with sadness?

"Hey, Skye" Baxter says lightly stroking my shoulder.

My heavy eyes blinked rapidly, I must have been drifting to sleep "I think it's time we get you home"

I look back to Tyler, I was no use to him right now but it still doesn't make me feel any better leaving him behind.

I reluctantly nod my head "Can I have a minute with him?" I ask quietly like I might wake him, I wish that was the case. He smiles "Of course"

This is the first time being alone with him. I imagine the night we were on the roof it was so calm and peaceful, we cleared the air that night. It feels so long ago when in reality it was only a couple days ago simply a matter of hours, time moves so quick.

I clear my throat as I try to think of the right words, I'm not so good with sentimentality "I don't know if you can hear me but I just want you to know I'm going to be here every day until your annoying ass is out of this bed. Whatever is happening to you right now better not be taking too long because I need you back here" I stop before I choke on my words, I still have time he isn't going anywhere I tell myself. I lean on the bed and kiss his forehead making sure I don't knock anything over.

I can't look back, instead I walk out and straight into Baxter. He's leaning on the wall but soon wraps his arms around me. I inhale his natural musky smell, his cologne has started to wear off, but I like his natural scent.

"Let's go home" his voice vibrates through me since his chin is resting on top of head.

I hum letting him go "I'll drive" he says with a hint of humour in it

I death scare him "Too soon?" he questions throwing his arms out

"Very much so" I reply in disbelief that he even said that. I roll my eyes walking over to him, he throws his arm over my shoulder keeping me close as we call it a day at casualty.