32

Yasmin

I woke with Keith's large arm wrapped around my waist. The guilt wracked my body as I just lay there.

It felt nice.

Nice to be held, nice to feel wanted, nice to be loved. Maybe Caine wasn't coming for me and this is what I had left?

Throwing his arm off me, I exit the bedroom before Keith even knew what happened.

Nope!

Not happening.

I was out the front door and around the back of the cottage in no time. I began to collect leaves and twigs while trying to think of nothing.

I ignored the heavy feeling in my bladder, not wanting to go back inside. With my arms full, I dumped the contents at the door to dry out before returning to the wood pile.

The wind was still fierce, but the rain and stopped sometime in the night leaving large puddles within the bubble I was locked in.

I grabbed at the collar, trying to use any strength I had to weaken the metal more. My eyes darted around the open field trying to find anything to help, maybe a sharp rock?

I needed this thing off my neck, I need the connection to Caine.

Where was he? Why wasn't he trying to find me? He wasn't dead because when I had first woken, I could still feel him. Unless something had happened to him after that.

My arms felt heavy, pulling me down to the muddy ground. Tears stung my eyes from the stupid permanent contacts I had in. My hair clung to everything as it whipped around me. The thin pajamas soaked through my bottom as mud coated anything that touched the ground.

I was a mess, and this stupid collar was just the beginning.

"What's wrong Liv?" Keith questioned as he approached my pathetic form.

Hearing that name just made me cry harder.

"I can't get this stupid collar off." I sob not caring for his reaction. I dropped my head onto my knees, not wanting to see the hit I would receive from this.

If Caine saw me now, he would surely walk away. Where I once was strong, now I'm weak. Where I once was defiant, now I submit. Where I once was whole, now I'm broken. Death would be a blessing, where a life like this could only be hell.

I ran from a dad who longed for power into the arms of a man who stole what he wanted. The small slice of heaven gifted by Caine, now distorted by Keith Ruby.

Gentle fingers shifted my hair from my neck. The sound of metal groaning under pressure had my sobs dying down. Then it was loose. I lifted my head only for the weight of the collar to be removed completely.

Keith reached down grabbing my hands and pulling me to my feet and into a hug. Reluctantly I wrapped my arms around his waist, just needing the comfort.

"I'm so sorry Yasmin," he whispered making me tense. "We were supposed to be happy. After Olivia died and I found you, I thought you were a second chance at happiness." His large hands rubbed up and down my back trying to sooth me. "You looked just like her, how could you not be meant for me? But then the vampire got to you and I couldn't watch as the one chance I had at having Livy back, played happy family with someone else."

Keith pushed me back to arm's length, using his fingers to bush the hair away from my face. "But you're not her no matter how much I wish it to be. I thought in time you would learn to love me too, but I see how wrong I am. You just didn't want me like Olivia did and I had to make you see how good we could be. Wolf should be with wolf, not a human and definatly NOT a bloodsucker."

I didn't want to look him in the eye any more. I could feel my strength coming back slowly. It was as if my wolf was waking from a long nap. I could feel her stretching out her sleepy muscles, readying for my command. What I couldn't feel was Caine and our bond. Was he actually gone?

Keith's fingers gripped my chin, lifting it so I could look him in the eyes again. "I truly am sorry."

I saw it coming and I still didn't pull away. Keith's lips met mine in a soft but urgent kiss. I didn't fight him but I didn't return it either, I just let him kiss me.

Until the woods surrounding the cabin and its bubble erupted in howls, and the demonic roar of an angry vampire prince.

I could feel him.

Caine was here!