Disappearance

Hawa POV:

As days passed, the heavier I felt. I was just super done with this period in life. Even moving from place to place seemed uneasy and I just wanted to drop this burden as soon as possible and get over with it.

"Saff's not coming home?" Huzaifah questioned, sauntering in the living room after preparing dinner himself even though it wasn't even sunset yet. He had just made it home back from med school and without further ado, he dived straight for the kitchen to make supper beating me to it. I was just very thankful to have him as a husband because he really cared about my wellbeing over everything else.

"I don't know, I was going to ask you that." I responded, making myself comfortable on the couch. "Is she coming? It's getting dark, she's supposed to come home by now... or at least let us know if she's staying with Hurairah."

"Oh yeah," Huzaifah's face lit up with remembrance, "I told Abu Hurairah to pick her up, I bet his on his way."

An unexpected thrust occurred on the inside of my stomach and I gave out a loud cry, clutching my abdomen unbearably. The pain induced for a bit but it repeated again for the second and third time and I didn't hold back the harsh grim whimpers leaving my throat. Why was this so damn painful?

"Hawa, are you alright?" Huzaifah asked worriedly, rushing to my side, holding my forearms and watching me intensely as he bit his lips.

"I'm fine, just... just the babies are kicking." I whispered painfully, closing my eyes and leaning my head back on the couch in utter discomfort. A mental note, never get pregnant again... or just leave them in a basket and drop them off at Abu Hurairah's porch after placing a small note with the message that urged intense care from the 'mysterious' baby.

Huzaifah furrowed his brows, "Haram. Even unborn babies these days are so disrespectful, kicking parents even before they are born." He scoffed, " Who the hell do they think they are? Me and them will be having a severe discussion about this when they set their bodies upon earth." He shook his head with rage as he paced back and forth with his hand behind his back as he plotted various punishments for the future.

"Uh-huh! This must be a sign from god, that... that our kids are devils in disguise." Huzaifah snapped his head worriedly towards me as he thought he encoded the incident. He narrowed his eyes and rubbed his chin thoughtfully, trying to come up with more conclusions. "That's it. Or maybe... no it is a warning from Allah, it must be."

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. "When will you ever grow up? That is totally normal."

"To be better parents, we must take actions now!" He commanded firmly. 

You know what, whatever, he wasn't changing anytime soon. I give up with him already. If my kids turn out to be duplicates of him, I won't be surprised at all.

"Okay, let's focus on Safoora here, is she coming?" I asked, changing the topic.

"Right," Huzaifah nodded with knitted brows, dialing Abu Hurairah through his phone. After several minutes, I waited for him to finish his conversation with my brother as I flipped the pages of my book while blasting Quran in my ears through my airpods.

Suddenly, my own phone began ringing loudly. I glanced down at the unknown number displayed on my screen and furrowed my brows, should I pick it up? I frantically glanced at Huzaifah who was outrageously barking his head off to my brother as if the world would collapse any second, he sure wouldn't like it if I picked up this random call.

I let the phone blare several times but for the third time, I couldn't stay still anymore. I snuck out of the room and headed down the halls to receive this unknown call. "Hello?" I started nervously.