6.1 - Date with Disaster

Start from the beginning

"No....it's getting worse than I believed." She suppressed any pain in her voice as best as possible, only a few cracks in her voice gave it away what the markings did to her.

"Come, we'll have Liccy and Gwen get the potions ready! I'll go grab the spell book!" Fawkes began to plan out, rather rapidly.

"Fawkes."

"We didn't know your pain was this adamant! We'll do what we can to keep it at bay!"

"Fawkes!"

"We can't have Charlotte know about this, and I promise-"

"FAWKES!!!" Ophelia lost her patience and shouted rather abrasively, startling the little sprite. "I can handle myself...I'm not weak! What I DO need from you.....is to look over Charlotte from now on."

"What?! A-Already?!" The fire sprite was startled.

"Yes. It's time. You must take care of her now in my stead." She nods.

"But Lady Ophelia! What about you?!"

"I have other sprites who can help heal me." She assured, getting to her knees. "Leave my injuries for me to worry over. Charlotte is your main priority now. And I want you to keep close contact with her....as I try to stabilize this." She looked at the marks in disdain. But one last look at Fawkes and she gave a reassuring smile. "You've always been at my side, Fawkes. And I couldn't be more grateful. This will be my last order for a while: watch over Charlotte and be sure to guard her at all times, okay?"

".....As you wish." He reluctantly sighed. A bright red light portal appeared behind him from the double doors as he looked over his shoulder at it and back to his lady. She gave him an encouraging smile as he flew towards it, back facing her. His small crystal wings fluttered as he faced the portal, albeit nervously, and flew through it with his eyes shut.
——————————

I felt like I was floating on a platform of clouds. Fluffy, comfy and soothing. 'Wow....I could get used to this....'

But the light had other plans, deciding to flash my retinas blind.

"Ahh!!" I hissed as my eyes flew open, blinking to see. "Ugh, are you kidding me?!" I fumed, but then I saw a huge golden gate in front of me. An awfully familiar gate....and through those gates was Mount Olympus.

There stood Zeus with Hera and their baby Hercules. "On behalf of my son, I want to thank you all for your wonderful gifts!" He smiled as Hera handed him their child, who teethed on his pendant when he yawned, growing sleepy. Zeus smiled as he tucked his boy in his crib, kissing his temple with fatherly love.

"How sentimental." A new voice spoke up. All eyes turned to a dark corner in the room as a familiar face made its debut. "You know, I haven't been this....choked up since I got a hunk of moussaka caught in my throat! Eh?" He tried to lighten up the room with a witty remark only to receive dead silence and glares from the other gods. After a stiff greeting with Zeus, and getting his finger crushed by the baby Hercules, Hades was brought into a side hug by his brother.

"Come on, Hades, don't be such a Stiff! Join the celebration!"

"Hey, love to, babe. But unlike YOU gods, lounging about up here, I regrettably have a full-time gig, that you, by the way, So charitable bestowed upon me, Zeus. So....can't. Love to! But can't..."

"You oughta slow down! You'll work yourself to death!....Ha!! Work yourself to death! HA!!!" The joke had gotten a wave of laughs from the other gods as Zeus fell back into his throne, still laughing. "Ha! I kill myself sometimes!"

Hades gave a fake smile until he turned his back, losing the smile for a deep scowl as he made his way back to the underworld, muttering, "If only....if only!"
—————————