Chapter 142 - Martyr about to be sent on a suicide mission

"I just want to shut up some people's dirty mouths and stop my family from worrying," Mary explained.

Many socialites were sneering and mocking her behind her back, saying that her fiancé abhorred her and that this marriage was a sham. The more shameless ones even said that she was a slut, trying to seduce Astar Levi, only to be disdained.

If she could slap all those disgusting faces until they were swollen, she'd gladly do it! She already had to endure two decades married to someone she didn't like; why would she endure even more of the abuse if she didn't have to?

Besides, it wasn't just her that was suffering due to this but also her loved ones.

Maery's gaze turned helpless, yet doting, "After seeing your scary face and stand-offish demeanor at today's party, my brother is looking at me with tears in his big eyes like I am a martyr about to be sent on a suicide mission!"

She hid her mouth behind her hand and giggled, "He even begged me, for the first time in his life! He came up to me, pulled at my sleeve looking all pitiful, and whispered in a soft voice, 'Sister, do... do not marry that scary person... alright?'"

Even recalling that made Maery grin from ear to ear. Kyaaa~ So cute!! Ah!!! (⁄ ⁄>⁄ ▽ ⁄<⁄ ⁄) ❤

Levi also recalled seeing a child hiding behind his sister's skirt earlier. Although Aris was already 12 this year, his puberty had still not kicked in, so he still looked very milky and adorable.

Levi didn't like children, though. They were too stupid. And troublesome to deal with.

But he could understand Maery's affections. It was similar to the gentle feelings he had for their family's cat. It was interesting to look at, pleasant to touch, and unlike humans, it caused him no discomfort. On the contrary, it felt rather nice and relaxing to pet it.

If something made his cat sad and restless, then he would, of course, want to remove the source of its woe!

And also, he might not have a little brother that was worried about him, but he had protective parents.

"Now that you mention it..." Levi's eyes narrowed in thought. His parents... also seemed to be worried about the whole arranged marriage matter? And they were constantly looking for opportunities to bring the two of them together. Annoying him to death! Even forcing him to attend this boring party...

If he could make the two of them stop pestering him, that would be a huge win!

Waiting for a long time now without hearing a protest from the reticent teen, Maery asked, "So... you ok with that?"

Levi nodded his confirmation.

"Good, good," Maery's eyes lit up, "Then... about mistresses..."

Levi's face immediately scrunched up, "Not allowed. I don't want a scandal on my hands. If you want to date, date after we are divorced."

"My thoughts exactly! (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ So... We have an agreement?" Cordia Maery offered her hand, smiling from ear to ear.

Astar Levi's frown eased, and he resolutely shook her hand, "We have an agreement."

After this secret pact was established, Astar Levi and Cordia Maery started to attend unavoidable events together, acting as if they were a harmonious couple.

Those not in the know thought the two were well matched, but Blackie, who could hear what they were really talking about and even thinking, had no words.

The event he was currently watching was of a charity auction held 5 years ago.

A beautiful, elegant lady and a handsome, imposing gentleman made for a striking image as they walked together on the red carpet. Whether it was their most noble identity or fashionable appearance in their designer clothes, everything about them attracted revering and envious gazes from their surroundings.