『until we meet again

Start from the beginning

Although hidden to the leader, you notice Zaheer's reluctance as he steps forward. Despite the little time you two shared, you made a human connection that he must now break. 'Maybe there is still some humanity left in him.'

"You don't need to resort to this, Zaheer. You will lose your freedom in all this and the ability to connect with others. I know that you care!" Your words grow louder with every step he takes. "I know you care about people! You have someone you love too--"

He freezes.

"And you will lose them in the process if you continue down this path."

"Stupid girl," Xai Bau barks out, "how deluded are you to think you know our fates?"

"B-Because!" Zaheer looms over you but you try to sputter out your reasoning. "History repeats itself. Your demise has already been predetermined by the history books. Have you truly learned nothing from reading in the spirit world!"

Zaheer reaches out to grab you, but you slip past his reach and bolt for the forest's depths. He wastes no time apprehending you with his quick reaction speed, ensnaring your wrist in his tight grip. 

You pivot off your left foot to kick him with your right foot, but he grabs that as well. With both your leg and arm confined, you attempt to wriggle out of his grasp. Yet all it does is stir Korra from her slumber.

"Aunty [Name]?" she groggily mutters. 

You think quick and use Zaheer's grip on you to hoist yourself off the ground to finally land a kick on his chin. The action forces him to let go and stumble backwards in pain. You instantly drop to the floor but twirl in time to land onto your stomach.

"Aunty [Name]! What is happening?"

With Korra awake, you return to a panicked state and hurry out a command while standing up. "Korra, put on your blindfold! We're playing hide-and-seek again--"

Before Korra can utter her opposition, Zaheer punches your stomach hard and near your injury. You let out a wail of a scream at the feel of your wound reopening. Although you tried to return to an upright position, the pain keeps you tethered to the floor. 

"Our path... is righteous," Zaheer states as he grabs your hair, pulling you up to face him.

Yet as you inch higher and higher into the air, Korra recognizes the situation and lets out a few tears. "No. No. No. Don't touch, Aunty!!!!!" she screeches while waterbending a lump of snow at Zaheer's face.

Over and over again, she pelts more snow onto his face until he stumbles backwards. You do not waste the opportunity granted to you and make a dash for the forest. Though the deeper you enter, the more you hear spirits growling and hissing at your infiltration of their home. 

But they do not scare you. No, the humans after you are far scarier than the rest of these spirits. You hear Zaheer quick on your heels, compelling your feet to hasten. 

"What's happening?" Korra questions with a tremor in her voice.

"Korra, put your blindfold on."

"NO! I want to go home!"

"You will go home, I promise," you coo her between pants. A warmth spreads upon your stomach, but you ignore it as you know it to be blood seeping out from your wound. 

"You're hurt!"

"Yes, I know."

"Then let's go home!"

Pain erupts in your leg and you let out another scream of pain. You collapse onto the floor, and your gaze whips down to your leg that now appears bloodied with an arrow straight through it.