45 / Forgiveness

The team arrived at Dubai after a not-so-nostalgic tedious flight and immediately settled in once they reached the apartment. As homey as it felt, it was still a bit empty.

"Should we go see Naomi and Yoongi for a report on the cases?" Taemin asked, helping Lucas check Ten's throat. He wrote down a few notes then proceeded to take the thermometer out his mouth.

They worked in Taemin's office, as it was where most of the medical supplies stayed and Ten had slight interest in the colourful fish that lived in the office. The snake was taken for a check up but its shedded skin was still scattered around.

"Try to sing, Ten." Taemin received a questioning look. "You're good at it and it's the best way to check the quality of your voice."

Ten shrugged to himself and attempted to sing a note or two. The first few seconds were successful with a beautiful execution of a single note. Just as Taemin and Lucas thought his voice returned, it went hoarse and Ten immediately stopped.

"Should we record it as an improvement?" Taemin asked with an unsure smile. Lucas simply nodded and took out the suppressor from its cabinet.

"Woah! Hold on!" Ten croaked and held his throat. Taemin's eyes widened and he quickly jotted down more notes. "Don't put that back on."

"But you need it." Lucas protested. "We don't know if the serum is still in your system–"

"It's been over a week." Ten interrupted, lowering his voice to reduce the strain. "I've had my blood checked, I haven't consumed any dairy and I've always worn that thing. I feel like I'm being drowned."

"We don't really know how long the side effects last." Taemin considered Ten's statement, hoping Lucas would do the same. "Kai recovered quickly. Maybe it was an allergic reaction. Like Ten said, he's followed the procedure without protest so I think we can lay down the heavy monitoring and just give him normal medicine and throat lozenges."

"And if it worsens?"

"We'll deal with that tornado when it comes."

"Those are unlikely, though."

"Exactly." Taemin gently smiled and ruffled Lucas' hair. "There's nothing to worry about. Besides, we have more than enough on our plates already."

Of course. If only any more damned.

They had less than a few months to retrieve the remaining Oracles - the number of which was unknown - and to look for Mark, who was last in contact with Taeyong (though, the details of their conversation remained disclosed and he was nowhere to be found).

They all wanted to know what was happening but respected his decision to keep it to himself. Well, most of them.

"Who'll go see them?" Ten asked. "Hyejin and I organised to meet for the rest of the week, so i'm fully booked." Lucas tapped his own neck, indicating Ten shouldn't speak too much. "Stop babying me, will you?"

'Gosh, I wish Mark was here.'