21) Outbursts

Jay's Point Of View

*****

Everything which was supposed to be fine looks messed up now. Vibha and Anand had lost their baby. Worst part is, I couldn't do anything for them. NOTHING! I know I'm supposed to be strong, but I couldn't bear to see my family collapsing in front of my eyes. How dare was dad? How could he just slap Anand when we're actually unaware of the truth? I know him more than anyone else. He's my little brother. He grew up holding my hands. I've brought him up. He can never do such a thing. Still I kept mum when Vibha and her mom was accusing him for Vibha's miscarriage.

But why do I doubt mom so much? She was supposed to stay back home and take care of Vibha if Anand had gone outside to meet his friend. Even after knowing that Vibha is alone, she decided to leave the house. It doesn't seems right. Mom is a gynecologist too. She knows the consequences of abortion pills. If she was the one who did it, why would she lock Vibha up in a room? Is my mom seriously that cruel to do this with a girl? No....I'm getting it all wrong. Something had gone wrong somewhere. My head pained so badly. I seriously need someone to open up with.

I tried calling Anand. His phone was ringing, but no one picked it up. My heart was pounding with fear. I know he was already broken. He lost his baby. Now dad's words must have stabbed him and wounded him more than anything else. I hope he's alright. I know he's not stupid enough to commit any blunder. But it's humans mind. We hear out ourselves more than we do of others.

"Pick up the phone da!"I muttured impatiently. I decided to go and check on him. He surely haven't got back home. I asked Mom to inform me in case if he decides to get back home. Where hell are you Anand? Stop tensing me up like this.

I checked the time. Time was nearing ten thirty in the night.I took my car keys and came outside my cabin.

"Hi Dr. Jay"I saw Dr. Deepika standing outside. She smiled at me.

"Aren't you getting back home? Night shift?"she asked

"No Doctor. My sister is admitted here. So I'm staying back"I said. I didn't bother to drag the conversation.

"Oh. Is she alright?"she asked. I just nodded and massaged my head.

"What happened? Head ache? You want coffee?"she asked.

"I don't drink coffee. Thanks for asking.
Excuse me"I got up from the bench and walked away. I stopped when I saw Dr. Vennela...I mean, Vennela sitting alone in an isolated bench. She looked lost. I don't know why but I felt really terrible to see her like this.

I walked towards her. She seemed to be startled as she looked up at me. A shudder ran through my body seeing her swollen red eyes. Tears were dried up in her cheeks. I sighed and sat next to her. For few minutes none of us spoke. I held her hand which was resting in her lap and entwined our fingers. Her palms were so cold. She didn't pulled back. Instead she held my hand tightly as if needed someone so badly. I saw her biting her lips. I don't want her to cry again. I seriously wanted to say something which would make her feel better. But I didn't knew how to console her. Heck, I couldn't even console myself.

"It's okay. You need to calm down. It's all god's play Vennela. We can't do anything"I said clasping her fingers tightly. It was shivering a bit.

"We could have saved the baby Dr. Jay. We could have....In a matter of seconds everything ended. I couldn't do anything for Vibha"she rested her head in my shoulder and cried holding my hand. I gulped down from my throat.

"You already did so much for her Vennela. It's not your fault"I said and wiped the tears formed in the corner of my eyes.

"Where's Anand? Is he alright?"she asked and I was reminded about him.