26. Twoset Grapefruit Boys

Start from the beginning

"Hey Brett, I'm thinking of getting a job during the summer holidays."

"What about your maths tutoring?"

Brett and Eddy were both university students, Eddy was studying Applied Mathematics while Brett, a year older, had already commenced his major in Philosophy.

"Yeah, I still have a few students to tutor, but a lot of them are going away for summer or don't want to study during the holidays so I think it's easier if I just get a job with set shifts."

"I see. So have you thought about where you would like to work ?"

"Yeah, a bunch of us are going for an interview at the university gym. Would you be interested in coming too?"

Brett wasn't particularly interested in working in a gym. He somewhat felt out of place at a place like that. But he decided to tag along for moral support. He'd never stepped a foot into the university gym ever and thought that if his best friend Eddy was going to work there it may actually motivate him to start going...

"Wait, Dads, best friends??"

Brett blushed.

"Yeah, we were still just friends back then."

"Awe, no wonder Detty looks extra cute standing so close to Deddy...!"

"Lemme have a look at that Claire."

Eddy peered into his daughter's phone.

"Oh, your Detty always looked cute like that."

Claire smiled and cringed at the same time for that remark.

"Oh my god Dads. I can't believe it... you guys in this photo were like my age, right ?"

"Yeah, I suppose so. Hey, we weren't always the old geezers that we are now,  y'know. We were once youthful."

"I know Deddy. You guys both looked really nice. I'm proud of my Dads."

"Well Claire, your Deddy was something else. When we went to the interview, everyone except your Deddy was sent to the back to be on wipe down duty, y'know, wiping down all the used gym equipment and cleaning the bathroom floors and stuff."

"So what did Deddy do ?"

"He became the first generation grapefruit boy! He was squeezing grapefruit juice all day at the gym's café."

Eddy grinned.

"And your Detty was there with me!"

"OMG is that all you guys did ?"

"Yeah, pretty much. And talk to the customers."

"We had to wear a singlet all the time, didn't we, Brett."

"Yeah and use that Alessi citrus juicer. Hey, look, it's actually in the photo!!"

"What, this thing Detty ? I thought it was a trophy or something."

Both her Dads giggled.

illustration by author

"It was a different era, for sure. I mean, we wore gloves while we squeezed the juices but these days with health and food sanitation laws. I don't think there is a grapefruit boy role at the gym anymore?

"No, I'm afraid not, Detty. No more opportunities to flex those biceps!!" 

"So Detty, how did you also get to be grapefruit boy with Deddy ?"

"Well, I hadn't even applied for the job, I was only there for moral support for Eddy and to check the place out. So once they sent everyone else downstairs for wipe down duty, your Deddy and I were the only ones left. Then Eddy, you asked if you could do the grapefruit squeezing job with me and the manager said yes so all of a sudden I ended up with a summer job too."

Eddy gave an awkward smile.

"Yeah, sorry about that Brett, I was too shy to do that job on my own, I didn't think I could function properly without you."

"Oh my god Deddy, you're not 20 anymore, stop acting like you're pining for Detty."

"Isn't it weird Eddy, because back then, we were pining for each other, without knowing that the other did as well, so there I was, willing to take on a whole summer job just so that I could work right next to you."

"Awe, Bretty..."

"Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaads, you're cringing me to death...!!"

"Isn't it weird Eddy, how a pic like this can bring back all those feelings.."

"Ahem, Detty!! Deddy!! I'm right here in the room with you guys!!!"

But Claire was actually quite used to her parents behaving like this, so she picked up her bag and went up to her room, giving her Dads some privacy.