Ch 40: Bonds Forged and Burned

Magsimula sa umpisa

"How does that fucking bastard keep getting through the barrier!?" Vox asked through clenched teeth. "It shouldn't be possible! I warded the Arena specifically against him!"

"W-we're not s-sure, sir." One Imp stuttered. "It seems like he is still technically warded and isn't actually there, just a small amount of his power keeps slipping through!"

"Fix it! NOW!" Vox's voice boomed throughout the room as the Imps began to work faster to block out Alastor.

Olivia gaped at the tall figure standing before her. Her brows furrowed as he almost seemed to glitch in certain places on his body, like he was a hologram.

"Alastor?" Olivia whispered, hope strong in her voice.

The shadow turned and looked down at her with the softest eyes. It smiled wide as it's grip on the creature tightened until it snapped it's neck with a sickening crack. The shadow threw the body to the side and offered Olivia the other one. She took it with a shaky hand. The fingers wrapped around hers, cold to the touch, and hoisted her up. It pulled her stunned body into a bone crushing hug.

"My darling." It whispered in her ear.

Olivia chocked on the sob that burst out of her as Alastor's voice filled her. She wrapped her arms around his body, holding it tight to her own.

"Keep fighting. Keep your promise. Come back to me." Alastor whispered before his body began to fade.

"No! Wait!" Olivia cried as her hands around his body began to lose their grip. "Don't leave me!"

"I'm sorry, but I can't stay any longer. I will see you tomorrow, my love." Alastor spoke softly as he vanished.

Olivia fell to her knees and sobbed loudly. She knew she probably looked weak and childish, but she missed him so much. Her heart ached at the distance between them. They had never been separated for this long before, and she despised it. It was a loneliness that couldn't be filled unless he was there and it had been filled for those short moments, only to be yanked away once again.

That one hug had filled her with so much happiness that it had overflowed in her heart, causing her to sob with raw emotion. His arms around her, even if he wasn't truly here, had given her more peace then she had felt in these last few days.

Olivia felt an arm wrap around her shoulder, bringing her in for a half hug.

"I'm sorry, Miss Olivia, but I will make sure you see him again. I promise." Alice spoke softly as she rested her head against Olivia's, letting her scream out her devastation.

Charlie gasped as Alastor fell forward and landed on all fours, breathing heavily.

"Damn, Smiles!" Angel exclaimed as he rose to walk over to Alastor with Charlie, kneeling beside him. "What the hell was that?"

"Vox's barrier was strengthened. It took most of my power to stay there as long as I did," Alastor took a moment to breath before continuing, "but I had to......I had to."

"You had to hold her at least once, right?" Charlie said softly with a warm smile.

Alastor was silent as he looked up at her with with tired eyes and dark bags under that were prominent in the light. Charlie was taken aback slightly by the loneliness in his crimson eyes. He rose slowly to sit back onto the couch to watch the rest of the night.

"Alastor, you should go rest." Charlie said with a worried gaze.

"I am fine, my dear." Alastor said, though his voice betrayed him with weariness thick in the tone.

"You are exhausted. Even you need to rest every once in a while." Charlie tried reasoning with him, to no avail.

"It's not-" Alastor threw himself back as Angel suddenly had his face inches from his own.